Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Ups & Downs of Just One Day!










Well, earlier in the day (had I had the time to post at that point), I wouldn't summed up our day as a happy, generally smooth one. Not so much at this point anymore...
The day started well with Tavin doing OK last night (woke up twice, but went back to sleep right away, and had to wake him up to start our day at 7am). Koen was in a great mood this morning and we enjoyed playing together while Tavin hung out in his "jungle gym" as we refer to it. Tavin's first nap, was 30 mins. as usual. So frustrating that he can't push beyond that, but I keep my expectations low, so it is no surprise. I managed a shower, so that was a success.
We had a great visit with Hilary, Delia and Huxley around 11am. Delia and Koen spent most of the time playing "storytime" (so cute!). Koen enjoyed fetching books for Delia and she sat in the chair reading them to him. Picture attached.

Tavin woke up from that nap at exactly 30 mins. too so we headed out for a quick walk to the Post Office down the street. Koen did a great job and the Baby Bjorn put Tavin right back to sleep. When we got home we had a hurried lunch before I had to feed Tavin (and Koen got a "special treat" of a Bob the Builder show.

Koen napped great (oh, I am just living for the day I can say that about Tavin). Tavin fought going down for his nap and then slept exactly 30 mins. I have to say I was proud of myself for prepping a delicious dinner for the family in that limited amount of time (spaghetti squash "pasta" with sun-dried tomato chicken sausage in a rich, thick tomato sauce and a chopped salad).

Tavin after waking up fell asleep while I finished some stuff on the computer, then of course, when it was time for him to eat next, he was completely out despite me dumping him on the couch from exhaustion (see picture). How is it he can sleep soundly on the couch in the light and not where he should in his crib??
Koen woke up happy as usual singing and talking. I love it! He got a haircut tonight. See picture. My little man! So precious!


Daddy came home for dinner. Which turned out delicious! Tavin started melting down at dinnertime. He never took his final nap. Couldn't relax enough to do so. So frustrating! Then he wouldn't eat the final feeding. Even more frustrating! I felt like a horrible mom. My child didn't even want the food I offered. Finally, I got him to eat and calm down and he went to sleep. I'm exhausted and feel defeated by this little tiny human. I hope tomorrow will prove to show progress, but maybe I'm just too optimistic. God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good. I have so much to be thankful for, I have to focus on the positive on these total physically, mentally and emotionally exhausted nights. I cried so much in the lay-down process, I'm thoroughly tired and ready for bed. Good night, friends.

1 comment:

  1. Oh Amy, I so understand those mounting feelings of frustration coupled with exhaustion. And the irritation of not being able to convince a small infant that he/she needs to eat/sleep is very, very hard on the best of days.

    I have no advice. Just sympathy, and a listening ear. I hope the sleep you get tonight is restorative. And that Tavin continues to learn and grow and respond to the schedule you have in place. You are a GREAT mom, and hard, no-fun days will only increase your grace toward other mom's going through child-rearing woes.

    Hang in there my friend.
    ~krissy

    ReplyDelete