Saturday, March 27, 2010

Easter Egg Hunt

Well, I shouldn't skip right to the Easter Egg Hunt, when there is exciting news to share...TAVIN SLEPT ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE NIGHT! 7pm to 7am!! I'm sure this is just a lucky treat right now, but still, I'll take it! He's been doing great with only waking up once to eat, so last night when I woke up at 4:45am randomly and he hadn't made a peep, I ran upstairs to just double-check he was OK. He was sound asleep. I had trouble falling back asleep and at about 6am he started to cry. I wasn't going to make him wait until 7am, but he ended up settling himself down really quickly like he wanted to go back to sleep and then would get upset again, so I tried the pacifier. He fell back asleep after about 10 mins. of sucking and slept until 7am! Our normal time that we start our day together. So great!

Koen on the other hand woke up at 6am. I think he does hear Tavin cry and I could tell he was sleeping lightly because he made a lot of talking/sighing noises in the night. Anyways, he was a good boy and talked to himself (like a crazy man at times) until 8am.

We had the Northway Oakland Easter Egg Hunt today. So much fun! Doug had to be to church early for some other stuff going on and setup for the egg hunt, so the boys and I handled the homefront and heading out on our own as usual. Koen is doing much better with listening to me about staying on the porch while I load everything into the car, including Tavin, which is a big improvement over last week. I love urban living, but getting 2 kids out of the house with 10 steps or so to walk down and on-street parking/no garage is not always a cinch. Koen's safety freaks me out! I have to pray about it a lot so that I won't be completely beside myself all the time in these situations. Anyways, today went well.

Koen had a blast with the games (hula hoops, putting golf balls, fishing for candy). The egg hunt was funny. He liked looking for eggs, but I think moreso he liked pulling the eggs apart, not to eat the treat inside, but just the engineering of it. Oh, boys! When he was fishing for candy, he got a piece on the end and asked Doug, "what's that, Daddy?," Doug said, "it's candy," "oh, yuck" replied Koen. That's my boy! No, he actually really does like chocolate, but he's never really tried anything else. All the adults thought he was hilarious at lunch. He eats a lot of food, probably as much as I do at some meals. Today was no exception. But what's funnier is that with a table full of sweet treats and salty snacks, Koen was eating snap peas, carrots and hummus until the veggie platter was empty. I have to say I was proud. I'm sure he'll discover junk food someday, but I'm glad he likes his veggies now!

Koen was super enamored with Miss Megan, she is the Family Ministry person at church. He had to stop and tell her everything he was doing. It was hilarious and so cute! She was a good sport acting totally interested despite his frequent visits and reports.

Koen also enjoyed having his friend, Delia, there. And we enjoyed that the whole family could come over for it. Tavin and Huxley "hung out" for the first time. Car seats side by side for a nap.
So, during the event, a big truck pulls by that says "Pony Rides." The church didn't plan for Pony Rides, so it wasn't for us, of course every kid wanted it to be. Well, it turned out that it was a very small group that had rented the "Pony Rides" (which turned out to actually be Donkey Rides - never seen that before!), so when they were done, they invited our huge group to use the donkeys for the rest of their rented time. Koen got his first donkey ride. And perhaps his last, I'm guessing donkey riding is pretty unique in the Pittsburgh area? I've never ridden one. I was surprised he was bold enough to try it. His first response was, "no, I'm OK." After convincing him and halfway through the ride, he said he wanted to do it all by himself. I wasn't ready to let go though. As you'll notice in the 2nd picture, the donkey was quite obstinate. He actually kicked the guy leading us!
It was a great event. Lots of families there to hang out with. So fun to see how blessed we are with friends in this area and it makes us love the Burgh even more!

Tavin and Doug and I had some nice time hanging out after I put Koen down for a much needed nap after that eventful, outdoor morning. Tavin is my little buddy. He is smiley with everyone, but all I have to do is say hi to him and he beams and says, "agoo," Doug thinks he is saying "I love you" already. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment