Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Pittsburgh Zoo

Koen and I got out to the zoo this morning and left Tavin at home with Gramma. Although it was great to just have one little Melder boy on my hands and I absolutely love my special one-on-one time with Koen, I totally missed Tavin and having both boys at once. I guess that is a good thing! We did enjoy our special morning out though.

The zoo was surprisingly empty despite the almost 60 degree day here in the Burgh. There is still quite a bit of snow throughout the zoo and many of the African safari animals are not out in there outdoor habitats (Koen specifically missed the zebras and giraffes).

Favorite Animals: The elephants - we caught them while getting snacks and taking a bath. At one point, the baby elephant stole the hose through a doorway and tripped one of the trainers! The gorillas - they are usually quite mobile and fun to watch and today was no exception. I had my own gorilla with me, he ate his way through the zoo. It's a good thing I packed a "snacky lunch" as he likes to call it. He eats so much. I don't know what we will do when he is a teenager, I think we might have to go into the grocery business. The polar bears - they were lazy today. A let down, winter is supposed to be their heyday, right? The sea lions - they made up for the polar bears lack for excitement. They were being fed lunch just as we got there which means they were doing all their tricks. We watched them for about 30 mins.! Of course, Koen was still eating and was one of the reasons we could stay there so long.


The zoo trip proved to be a good outdoor activity to wear out some of Koen's energy. He slept 2 and 1/2 hours and then was pretty quiet another 30 mins. Yay!
Oh yeah, before we left the zoo, Koen spotted the little rides. Ugh! Why do they have to have those? I'm so cheap though, I let him just sit in them and act like that is all they do. Unfortunately, some less cheap moms came along and ruined my spoof. Their kids got to ride on the vehicles and they actually moved! Koen was mystified, but thankfully still happy in his immobile ride. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment