Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Tiny Tots Concert

Well, another downtown bus outing under our belts! Very exciting. It went so well. Koen was in great spirits this morning looking forward to our adventure. Tavin did very well. He went down for his nap a little before 9am. I had to wake him up to throw him in the Baby Bjorn around 10:15am. It killed me to wake him up! He's just switched to a 4 hour schedule, so his next feeding was to be at 11am. I had to take a bottle and the milk with me, which was a little tricky since Heinz Hall doesn't have anywhere to get boiling hot water to heat up the bottle. So, Doug had an ingenius idea last night when I was planning for my excursion. He suggested using a stainless steel single-serve soup container that Doug's parents gave us (thanks Nana and PopPop!) to keep the milk warm and just pour it into the bottle there. It worked so well! Actually, too well. I had heated the bottle up too much at home and the container kept every bit of the heat, so I actually had to run it under cool water for awhile to cool it down. Anyways, Tavin took the bottle like a champ. I was so glad to have another positive bottle experience. He ate 6 oz.!
The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra does such a beautiful job with these little concerts for the kids. It is so kid-friendly and the music is so lovely. Definitely one of my favorite free outings in the Burgh with my kids. Today they did a narration of a book with pictures from the book projected onto a screen. It was Listen to the Wind. It's based on a true story and written by the author of Three Cups of Tea, which I want to read even more now (Aunt Megan had recommended it).
The music was at times a little ominous and scary as they illustrated the sound of the wind or the marching of the people up a mountain. But both Koen and Tavin didn't seem to mind too much. Koen really enjoys the music, but also enjoys the healthy snacks I'm always sure to bring. He did some dancing which is where the close-up picture comes from. He also hit his chin on one of the seats in front of him during some of his dance routines which caused him to cry out loud during one of the quietest songs the orchestra plays. Classic!
Thanks, PSO! We had a great time!

We walked back to the bus and caught the 77D home with no problem at all. Tavin had been awake the whole excursion until the last 10 minutes of the ride home. He woke up again at home for a little while and I let him strectch his legs and then put him to bed for hopefully a long nap until 3pm (next feeding). We'll see how it goes! Koen is now in bed too, I'm really hoping he takes a nap today. Yesterday he napped for 3 and 1/2 hours!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds like a really great outing. Sorry we weren't able to join you. The testimonies were going so well at MOPS that I was reluctant to leave. Next year/season I definitely want to request those tickets.

    By the way, I am majorly impressed by you riding the bus! I have only riden a city bus once. I wouldn't know the first thing about figuring out the bus system!

    ReplyDelete