Wednesday, April 21, 2010

A Day with My Boys

Today has been a full, good day (and it's only 4:22pm!).

Tavin has been doing great sleeping until 7am or a little later. He is starting to wake up happy instead of just crying to be fed which is so fun to hear him cooing up there. This morning I even managed to roll out of bed early enough to shower before getting him up to eat. Amazing! Koen was surprised when I saw him at 8am and I was telling him about our day and our plans and he said, "but first you have to take a shower." When I told him I already had he said, "Good job doing that, Mommy!"

Tavin got several outfit changes today. First was due to a massive explosion I found upon getting him up. Here is in outfit number 2.
Outfit number three happened later when I discovered his diaper had leaked. I am not happy with the Target Up&Up diapers size 1. They are too loose and do not hold as much as Pampers Swaddlers. I've been using the Target diapers for Koen for years, but I didn't as an infant, so I guess I'm now remembering why.
Here's a picture of Koen at breakfast. This is his new favorite spot for eating breakfast. The buses go by very frequently and there is plenty of other interesting traffic (including "gobble gobbles" (trash trucks) today).
Anyways, we got out of the house earlier today than I think we have in months. I had both boys out the door before 9:30am. Koen had his 3 year appointment at the doctor's today. I wanted Tavin to take as much of his morning nap in the stroller as he could, so we headed out early on a walk rather than waking him up midway through the nap. Koen was a great walker today. So fun when he enjoys being outside with me since it is such a joy for me to be outdoors and moving! Unfortunately, Tavin didn't do very well napping. He woke up the second we got to the doctor's, so he only slept about 30 mins. or less.

Koen did so well at his appointment. For the first time he didn't cry to get weighed or measured. At 3, he finally would step on the scale by himself and not have to be lifted onto the baby scale (yes, that's right, I had to do that at the 2 and 1/2 appointment). He was 32.6 pounds and 38 inches! He is in the 60th percentile for weight and 75th for height. The doctor said he was doing and looking great.
Koen did so well with the rest of the checkup too. He didn't like cooperating with the eye or ear test. I should've prepped him more on that, but I didn't know they would do it already. He got through them OK, but they won't really know if he can see or hear until next year. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for him walking into things. =)

I had to break it to him that he would need a shot today. He is aware of what these are due to the doctor books we read occassionally (Corduroy, Berenstain Bears, etc.). I was truthful with him and told them what they would do and that it would hurt. He was such a good boy about it. He didn't get upset when the nurse took his arm or anything. He didn't even cry when he got pricked (he just looked really surprised). He cried a little afterward, just because I think he finally realized what he just went through, but I was so proud.

Poor Tavin was overtired, sitting in wet clothes (I was unaware of the leak at this time) and was starting to get hungry by the end of the appointment. He was still good though through all of it. I threw the boys in the carriage, got 2 stickers for Koen on the way out and booked it to the playground on the way home. I had a bottle for Tavin which I thought would work fine. Nope. Not so much. He tried to go along with my plan, but he just was too overtired. So, I gave in and gave him what he wanted. I was proud of myself for doing it at the park despite my fear of it in public, but I managed and it made him a lot happier.

Tavin managed to stay up for awhile longer when we got home and then had a 2 hour nap, yay! A lot of which was while Koen was napping, so that was a nice change for me (Tavin usually struggles with the afternoon nap and I get almost no time with both boys sleeping).

Koen went right to sleep for his nap. Oddly enough though, an hour and a half in he woke up from a cough or sneeze and then started crying like he was sick. I let him go a few minutes, but then had to go and get him. He was truly sad and not faking it. He was a mess when I got him, so I let him come downstairs and watch a DVD while I fed Tavin. He definitely needed more rest and downtime, plus, I'm still so impressed with him for the way he dealt with the doctor appointment, that I don't mind the special treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment