Saturday, April 10, 2010

Koen's 3rd Birthday, Part I

I can't believe my baby is 3 years old already. The time really does fly! Since I now have an infant as well, I do miss Koen as a baby, but he is a blast as a toddler and all the stages have been so much fun that I look forward to him growing even still. I'm not sure I want Tavin to grow up though. He is the sweetest baby! So easy-going and happy! Plus, I must mention, he slept from 7pm to 7am again last night. Yay!!

Koen is feeling better today, but our original birthday plans for him were foiled due to his bout with croup this week. We were supposed to be up at a friend's cabin celebrating his birthday and some family time away with Abbie, my sister. Oh well, we needed to stay close to the hospital in case of a croup flare-up. Better safe than sorry.

So, the birthday boy was happy when he woke up this morning. He still sounds like a little frog from the croup. It's really cute though. We brought up his first present for him to open upstairs and play with, a train set given to us by some friends that outgrew it. Yay! Free birthday gifts! Thanks, Amie! He went to work on it right away.
After breakfast (which we kept low key because his appetite is still off, so it's not worth the effort), Koen helped me bake his birthday cake. He is such a great little baker helper. Although he did fall off his stool this morning which was a little scary. Thankfully, he caught himself and didn't hit his head on the ceramic tile.
I let him snack on some chocolate chips that we were using for the recipe and he said, "these chocolate chips feel good on my throat." I guess his throat is hurting? Classic that chocolate seems to soothe it, that's my boy!

Doug got Koen in an outfit (which is very weird, but Koen was being naughty when Doug was trying to change him, so Doug lost patience and just grabbed whatever) and then took him in the backyard to show him his next birthday gift....a bike! Again, another free birthday gift. I got it from an award catalogue when I won an award from work. He's a little small for it still, but he's having fun "practicing." It will probably fit him until he's 6 or so.
For lunch we headed to Shadyside and went to lunch with Aunt Jen and Uncle Sean. We actually got to sit outside. It's breezy and cool, but the sun makes it just warm enough to be outside. Really lovely! (Oh yes, I am again enjoying the outdoors since I went to the doctor and have been on meds for the allergies for about 4 days now...big improvement!) Koen was a little tired and odd at lunch, I think this virus is just really not making him feel well at times. And his appetite was surprisingly small.
On our way home we stopped for a small cup of gelato. Yum!
Got home and put Koen to bed and fed Tavin. Koen is still up though, hopefully he will fall asleep soon so that he won't be a complete basketcase for the rest of his birthday. I'll post how the rest of the day goes later...

1 comment:

  1. Happy Birthday Koen!!! I'm glad that he's starting to feel better. It looks like he had a fun birthday. =) Bikes are the best!

    ReplyDelete