Sunday, April 4, 2010

Swaddle No More???

So, newest development for Tavin is that we are easing out the Swaddler. If you aren't aware of what a Swaddler is, take note moms, it is a great invention that is practically a humane baby straightjacket that keeps them safe, secure and free from startling. Tavin is growing up out of this stage though as he is beginning to move more in the night as he sleeps, wiggling free out of the swaddler and then freaking himself out (plus it scares me that it will bother his breathing). So, we've decided to phase out the Swaddler.

Last night was his first night with no swaddling. He went down without a peep amazingly. He woke up at midnight and cried for about 45 mins. or more with a few visits from me for moral support (Ferber method style). I also have to note here that I am a nice Pastor's wife since I knew that Doug was getting up at 5am for a long day of preaching, I slept a good chunk of the night in Tavin's room so I could turn off the monitor in ours and not bother Doug with letting Tavin cry it out.

That was Tavin's only problem with the new no-swaddling. He woke up around 3am to eat and went back down without a complaint. He started making little noises in the morning, but I eventually had to wake him up at 7am.

Now, no swaddler at nap is proving more difficult. I'm not sure we are ready to completely give it up. He lays down for the nap fine without the swaddler, but if he wakes up 30, 45 or whatever minutes into naptime, he has not been able to settle himself back down all day. I finally gave in after 30 mins. of screaming this afternoon (with Ferber visits) to swaddling him again. I think I might just keep swaddling him at naptime until he has more chances to figure out how to calm himself down in the night (and maybe he'll figure out how to roll to his tummy and we'll all be much happier!). Maybe I'll try one nap a day without the swaddler. We'll see.

It's so tough with these little ones. Just as you get something down (napping is so, so much better now!), you have to change it up because they are changing and it seems like your hard work goes down the drain. I'm hoping he will continue to grasp the concept of calming himself eventually even without the swaddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment