Wednesday, May 5, 2010

One Plus Two Makes Three!


Kaiser eating breakfast
So, today we had a fun new challenge and had three little boys instead of just two. Our good friend, Kyndal, had jury duty, so we had Kaiser for the day. Kaiser is 16 months old. Koen used to go be with Kyndal and Kaiser on Wednesdays last Fall when I was pregnant with Tavin and I was still working in the office two days a week. So, Koen and Kaiser are familiar with each other. Koen is like a little coach/mother to Kaiser and Kaiser is quite the shadow for Koen now that he is walking and talking. It is so fun to watch and imagine Koen and Tavin functioning like this together in about a year.

Kaiser was here already when I got Koen up in the morning with Tavin on my shoulder as well. Koen was so excited to have Kaiser with us. Kaiser was all smiles and just kept saying, "hi."

For the first part of the day, we played in the playroom. Kaiser basically wandered from one thing to the next checking out all of Koen's toys. He especially liked dumping things out of the new little organization station we put up in the playroom. Kaiser also liked our Fisher Price ball tower that makes music. Koen also liked Kaiser's affinity for that toy, an excuse to get silly and dance. Then he asks, "is that OK if I spin around inside, Mommy?" Sure, why not?
Playing upstairs in the AM
Tavin seemed to just be in a daze watching all the busyness today with the two older boys. It proved useful too. He had a really long morning nap. Especially long since I forgot to relocate his monitor base and actually was completely unaware as to whether or not he was upset despite the fact I had the monitor with me the whole morning. Oh well, he was OK and safe when I went to get him. My mom never used a monitor and I turned out OK, so I'm guessing this morning won't hurt Tavin too bad. =)


During Tavin's nap we finished playing in the playroom, then went into the backyard to play. Kaiser is great with following the ball around and "throwing" it. Koen was mostly enamored with his trucks in the dirt. Kaiser wandered around following Koen for most of the 45 minutes we were outside. Koen does really well with having a shadow and doesn't get frustrated. He is definitely still learning how to share with kindness and understanding though.

Kaiser saying "bus," one of his favorite words as a bus passes by (for the millionth time), Koen is pretty used to this, so is still just playing
The older boys had some snacks outside and then we got all cleaned up (it is quite dirty out there between the patio sand working in and the grass seed/peet moss) and headed inside. I wasn't sure how Tavin's feeding would go with the two boys to care for. I probably should've taken them back to the playroom, but Koen was a little bored up there in the morning, so I didn't want to deal with him just hanging around complaining. So, I turned on a Bob the Builder DVD and chose to stay downstairs. Tavin ate well, Kaiser and Koen watched the DVD together for the first 10 minutes. Koen stayed completely glued to the show, but Kaiser started wandering. After a few minutes of constantly wondering what he was doing, I got up (with Tavin still eating) and blocked the front stairs with a stroller, closed the back stairway door, closed off the 1/2 bath and then returned to sitting. Kaiser found Koen's drawer in the kitchen and had fun working with the sippy cup parts for the remainder of Tavin's feeding. Phew! =)

Chill Out Time during DVD so I can feed Tavin!
After Tavin was full and had a clean diaper, it was time to feed the older two. Kaiser had packed lunch and I made Back to Nature 100% Whole Wheat mac n cheese for Koen (a family favorite). I made myself a fresh spinach, strawberry and colby/jack quesadilla. Sounds weird, but it was so delicious! The boys ate great and I of course ate every bite of my lunch too. Koen helped Kaiser finish up his green beans, but also enjoyed doling them out to him.


Lunchtime and "crowding" Tavin

After lunch, we got cleaned up again (see a theme here?) and headed up to the playroom for a final playtime before nap. Kaiser was so good about Tavin being around and being more of a baby than he is. He is going to be such a good big brother! He calls Tavin, "Baby...Tavi." So sweet! He also loves to say, "hi," anytime he catches your eye. I love it!

Kaiser goes down around 1:30pm and I took his cue when he laid down on the blanket with Tavin around that time that it was time to get him to bed. Koen hadn't gone #1 all day, so I asked him to sit on the toilet while I was putting Kaiser down. He happily went (we've been doing better lately). Tavin came in with me to read to Kaiser. The two of them sat on/around my lap on the bed and we snuggled, read books and then said sweet dreams. Kaiser just said, "Ah-me, Ah-me" and then went right to sleep. Such a good boy!

Koen was calling for me, "I went pee, I went pee," when I came out of Kaiser's room, so I quickly went to him thinking there was a mess to clean up. But for the first time, Koen went in the toilet without it going everywhere! Yay! He had no accidents in the morning and the one time he went, he went on the toilet with no mess. So exciting. He got 4 m&m's and the pride on his face was priceless when I was praising him. He is really getting it. I'm so relieved and encouraged. God is so good. I'm so glad He cares about even the small things, because I need His help with this little stuff just as much as anyting else.

Time on the "Big Boy Toilet"

Next it was Koen's turn to lay down for nap, then I put Tavin down for his nap. Wow, all boys sleeping at the same time. Phew! Yay! I actually had from about 2pm until 3:30pm to myself. I got over an hour of work done and made dinner for the family tonight. I texted Doug later that what I thought would be good birth control (a day with 3 kids instead of 2), was not turning out to be so at all. These boys are just too sweet, good sleepers and a lot of fun!

Three Boys Asleep...ahhhh

Kaiser woke up first, but talked to himself for a long time, all the way until Kyndal got back from her exciting day at the courthouse (read the Braly in the Burgh blog for more info). Tavin had a great afternoon nap (it seems like he's starting to figure out the afternoon nap, yay!). He nursed for about an hour, but that is still downtime for me, so I didn't mind. I just get restless sometimes. =) Koen woke up at 5pm after almost 3 hours asleep. I got him up to say goodbye to Kaiser. He didn't want him to go.

We had a nice evening waiting for Daddy on the front porch, bathing Tavin, playing in the backyard, eating dinner and saying goodnight. I love my boys. I love this phase of life. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else, but here with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment