Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Grampa Visit - Catch-Up


This Grampa Visit was so great. Dad is such a great help with Koen especially, but had very willing hands to hold and help with Tavin. Tavin really bonded with Grampa and was so comfortable to go to him. It was very sweet to see. I love my Dad so much and it is so sweet to see my kids loving him too.
Koen adores Grampa. Yesterday, he was super interested in a fix-it project Dad was working on in the kitchen. Grampa was a good sport and made him feel like he was a part of it. Dad also took him to Home Depot to pick up some supplies. Koen took his job very literally and enjoyed carrying the orange bucket around the store throwing in several items that Grampa said he didn't need. Most of them, Grampa put back, but one item managed to get purchased and everything! Oops! Grampa definitely mentioned that "Koen is the "dickens"!" Like I didn't know that! He can get in quite a mood sometimes - very silly and very stubborn! Grampa deals well with it, being kind and patient. Grandparents have it so good, they don't have to deal with the pressure of discipline too much, but I guess they deserved it, they already went through the thick of it with us!
Yesterday in general was a low-key day, but we just enjoyed our time together here at the house enduring the indoors because of the rain. In the evening, both Doug and I had to be out, so Aunt Abbie came over and after I put Tavin to bed, Grampa and Aunt Abbie got to put Koen down. He loved it! Koen loves the both of them so much, it was a sweet end of the day for him. Thanks, Aunt Abbie and Dad! That was a special treat for Koen and nice for Doug and I to get out to our commitments.
This morning we had to say goodbye to Grampa. But thankfully, Grampa was able to stick around until 10am. He hung out with Tavin and Koen for awhile this morning while I finished getting ready. After Tavin went down for his nap, Koen and I hung out on the porch while Grampa loaded up his van and finished his preparations for the trip. Koen is so interested in everything Grampa does. Finally, we all said goodbye. I had to keep from crying so my sensitive Koen wouldn't realize to be super sad. Grampa pulled away and Koen said, "It's OK, we will go to see Grampa and Gramma this summer." Almost like he was comforting me. He did ask for him to come up and get him tomorrow morning later today and I had to re-explain that Grampa was driving home to be with Gramma and we'd see him in a few months. Time and distance is a tough thing to explain. But thankfully, Koen loves his little cycle of life here and was OK accepting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment