Monday, May 10, 2010

Monday with Nana & PopPop

Today we had the special treat of a nice visit from Nana and PopPop. They were supposed to come about a month ago around Koen's birthday, but that unfortunately turned out to be the morning we had to go to Children's Hospital at 4am with Koen for Croup. So this was a long-awaited visit that we all enjoyed. Plus, this was PopPop's first visit to meet Tavin!

Koen and I made whole wheat chocolate chip banana bread for their arrival. I love my little baking partner! Nana and PopPop enjoyed the snack when they got here and then Koen spotted the gifts they brought, so when we all finished our bread we headed straight to the living room to re-enact Koen's birthday. He was so into it. Nana is always so good at picking out things for the kids that are age and interest appropriate. She found some more Lego Thomas & Friends trains for Koen as well as this great book called, "Jack's House," with fabulous illustrations highlighting trucks and construction vehicles and tools. Nana & PopPop also got Koen some clothes, but he went through that bag super fast and turned right back to the book and trains. Oh well, I loved the cute clothes in 3T and 4T. We always need those with this growing big boy!
Tavin woke up from his nap and then I fed him and brought him down to see PopPop. They got along right away. PopPop has a confident and sweet touch with the little ones, so I think Tavin felt very secure. PopPop commented on his bright blue eyes (accentuated by the outfit choice of course) and his very, very bald head. Ah, my bald boys. PopPop made the good point though that it is better to bald at the beginning of life than the end. That is how it worked for him...so here's hoping it is a Melder family characteristic! =)Next we walked to lunch at Juicebox in Shadyside. A new little bistro off of Walnut. Love the menu! Enjoyed my lunch very much. Koen was in a great mood until the last few minutes. It's always a bummer to end a good experience on a low note, but oh well, got to focus on the positive. He did ask to go to the toilet while we were there, although I believe he got stage fright with the real deal when Doug took him to it. Still no accident though. This kid can hold it forever!
Nana and PopPop left around naptime (with Nana in tears as usual, she loves her Dougy!). It was a quick visit, but a real nice one to share the boys with them both on a sunny, cool Spring day here.

Both the boys took great naps this afternoon, so that was a nice break for Doug and I to get some things done and relax a little.

I had a slight weird breakdown thing with feeling cooped up and ancy. I love being a stay-at-home mom with my two boys, but I can't find time to work out or even get good walks in most days and after a marathon nursing for Tavin of over an hour stuck in a chair sitting on my bum, I was ready to run a race or something. Doug took Koen duty and after Tavin finished his cereal, I headed out on a walk with Tavin in the Baby Bjorn. I felt much better upon my return. Doug and I are working on how we can figure out more time for me to get some fresh air and not keep having these issues.

(this is his concentrating face)

Koen and Doug grilled us dinner and it was delicious. Thank you, Nana, for the asparagus. It was probably the best I've ever had. You could tell it was straight out of your garden. Yum! Koen tried asparagus for the first time and he loved it and ate about 10 pieces in complete enjoyment. Yay, a new vegetable!

Before Koen headed to bathtime with Doug, he wanted a song. Here's a video of one of our favorite bedtime songs.


Doug's out watching the game with some friends, I'm home blogging, prepping for my sister's bridal shower this weekend, working and creating a photobook for Koen. Who said that Gagnons have a problem with too many irons in the fire? Oh well, I'm relaxed, so that's a good thing.

Thanks for a great visit Nana and PopPop. Hope to see you again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment