Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Break, Week 3

Today was Summer Break again. Koen enjoys this day so much, he's been talking about it since last week. He said, "I wonder what we'll do this week? I don't know what it could be, I think we've done everything." How cute is that? The team at church has done a great job being creative and getting these kids involved in some new and different activities. What's really fun too is that different people have volunteered each week to teach the kids about a hobby or something they enjoy doing. First week was pottery, second week was cooking and then this week, gardening! Anyways, I'll return to that after a quick explanation of what Tavin and I did at Sprouts of Faith while Koen was busy.

This week Tavin was more cuddly. I don't think he's 100% yet. The poor kid has been breaking out with a rash and I called the doctor today and they are pretty sure he probably has a mild allergy to the amoxycillin (classic!). The poor guy. He has had almost no appetite, so he probably just doesn't have as much energy as usual to participate. He still enjoyed our time there though and did run around a little bit. For "I'm in the Lord's Army" and "Onward Christian Soldiers" the little ones got to put on some armor. Tavin was excited to look like big brother (Koen has done this in Kidz Church before). He also watched Kaiser put it on and didn't mind emulating him either. So cute!
Sorry about the blurriness, I feel like I'm still figuring out how to take pictures with my new camera and I definitely don't have it down yet. Below is a practice movement picture that Kyndal took as she looked at some settings on my camera. It kind of looks like what we do at Sprouts anyways, dancing around and the like, so I thought I would include. Plus, look how happy Tavin looks racing around. He's so sweet.
Ok, so after Sprouts and some playtime with Kaiser and Porter downstairs, we all headed upstairs to see what the big kids were up to. It was fantastic! They had colored some pictures about the Garden of Eden and learned about that story and how God created everything including plants. Then they painted pots. Next they got to have a garden feast. There were all sorts of vegetables and fruits, most of which were from the gardener's garden! Koen was so happy with it.
Here are their finished pots. Koen happened to make his a grayish color that actually matches the kitchen quite nicely. How convenient!
Look at the little "garden" in the sanctuary. I just think they've done an awesome job. They talked about how plants work and showed them the roots, the stalks, the fruit, etc. Very cool.
Here's Koen getting to use his freshly painted (but thankfully already dry) pot to plant some basil to take home.
After this great event, we headed over to Schenley for some playtime and lunch. Tavin was running out of steam fast and had no appetite, so he didn't last long. Koen was a sweaty, dirty mess, but he was having fun with Kaiser and a little girl they met. Koen was teaching them how to roll down the hill.
Thanks to the Kidz Ministry team at Northway Oakland for another fun-filled morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment