Monday, July 25, 2011

Sick Day

Oh my goodness! Who knew such a happy little guy one night could wake up so sick the next morning. Poor Tavin. When I went to get him, it was almost 9am and he was still sleeping. When Koen and I went in, he stayed laying down and I rubbed his back, he was so feverishly hot. Poor little guy! He bounced back a little after breakfast, but he was still very feverish, so I gave him Tylenol and again he seemed to bounce back a little. We ended up taking a late morning walk. Once we got home and it was about lunchtime it became quite obvious that poor Tavin was not doing well. Here is a picture of him managing to hold it together while I made lunch and Koen worked on his reading skills. What a trooper!After he sulked through the beginning of lunch with moments of complete crying meltdown, I gave in and let him have blanket in the high chair. That calmed him down enough that he would eat a little bit. He was so tired though, he kept just resting his head to the side and sucking his thumb. It was definitely time to find a doctor's appointment!

The Lord's grace and provision was so apparent today (well, isn't more that I'm often not attuned to it rather than that these attributes aren't obvious?). Despite a booked schedule (you can always tell by the admin's voice at the doctor's office when it's tough to squeeze another sick kid in) we got a 2:45pm appointment. I laid Tav down for a nap and Koen had "quiet" playtime in his room since it was too early for him to nap. He was all excited about the mission to get Tavin well anyways. Then it started pouring outside. Did I mention Doug had our car? So, I called our sweet neighbor, Hilary, and asked for the huge favor of borrowing the car complete with car seats. Of course, she said yes. We are so thankful for our awesome neighbors! At 2:35pm I loaded groggy, sweaty, feverish Tav and super energetic Koen into the car and we were off.

We had quite a wait at the doctor's, but Koen was super into the Cars movie playing in the waiting room and Tavin just snuggled me. It was so apparent that he was not feeling good at all!

Then we got into the room and waited again. Here are a few shots of my poor sad baby...I have to give a little ode to Koen (despite the fact he totally repaid me in complete disobedience at the dinner table tonight). Koen was such a sweet, calm and cooperative older brother at the doctor's office and in general with the way our afternoon was all mixed up today. Thanks, Koen. Here's one of his attempts to keep Tavin entertained at the doctor's office. He thought his shoes sounded like tap shoes on the Pergo flooring, so I went with it and he loved performing!

The doctor asked the usual questions and then looked in Tavin's ears and he has ear infections in both. So sad! It just kills me when this happens. Breaks my heart that he's been in pain all day (although hopefully relieved a little bit by the Tylenol doses).

We headed straight to the pharmacy at Giant Eagle Market District and unfortunately had another wait there. I had my mommy moment of the day when I came up with a scavenger hunt game for the still bounding-with-energy Koen and that kept us busy and happy enough (Tavin was OK because he had blanket and his thumb).

We got home a little after 4:30pm and Tavin was so sick looking I just put him back to bed and let Koen be rewarded for his helpful, sweet and good behavior with a few short shows on PBS.

Tavin was not much better this evening since the Tylenol was wearing off again and he really didn't like the medicine, but hopefully in 24 hours he will be back to his regular self. I have to say, a snuggly day with Tavin is still a great day. I just felt so bad for him!

No comments:

Post a Comment