Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Night Out With U2

So, it's a long story, but finally, Doug, myself and Nate and Megan made it to the U2 show! Here's the quick story. In December of 2008 we gave Nate and Megan tickets to go to Jersey Boys with us here in the Burgh as a Christmas gift. We ended up not being able to go, so they sold the tickets the week of the show and made great money on them and so we all decided we should apply them to the (at that time) upcoming tour for U2's latest album. We had a plan to meet in Boston July of 2009 for the show and only a few weeks before that time Doug and I had to cancel, Doug couldn't get out of work responsibilities and I was pregnant and just not feeling like a rock concert (not that I really ever get into a rock concert mood, but I'm willing to try for Doug's sake).

So, Nate and Megan were good sports again. Nate had actually scheduled an international business trip around the show and had to completely change his flights due to our inability to make the show, so they have been rubbing that in our faces for years now. Anyways, we sold those tickets and made our money back, so we held onto it in hopes that U2 would come around the States again and hit Pittsburgh. Well, albeit the last US tour stop (there were 100 shows in the US), we made it!

I have to say, despite the fact I'm not a concert fan (much to Doug's chagrin), I really, really enjoyed the show. Bono is such a performer, not to mention it is completely impressive how he is older and can sing, dance and run around for 3 hours straight and never get winded (although the man does sweat a good deal). His voice is outstanding. I hate it when you go to a concert and the sound is just not as impressive as the recorded version. Well, that wasn't the case at all. They are amazing! They have incredible tecnology, lights and stage as well that is so impressive to watch. I was thrilled with our seating situation. We had general admission and we were right on the floor below the stage. I was nervous about being squished by crazy fans, but we found a great spot where we had plenty of space. It was actually a fun area we were in. There was a group of 40 year old guys that were acting like high-schoolers. Doug figures they reunite every 5 years at shows like this with their best buds from high school and basically act like kids again. It was actually really endearing. They were doing air guitar and jumping most of the show. I'm guessing they all called in sick today. There were some unfortunate neighboring folks too, but oh well. There were lots of different types of people there...kids, older couples, people our age, college age kids, the whole spectrum. Again, it's pretty impressive the range of audience that U2 has. The show was really interesting as well since Bono has really taken on so many causes, he uses his shows to really shed light on places and people in the world that are suffering or revolutionizing. I'm not exactly sure about his political details and he didn't really push on any one way or anything, but I have to give him credit for using his fame to try and make a difference. Here are the few pictures that are worth showing (Doug took a bunch more including several videos, but I will spare you (I thought it was a bit excessive)).

We had to get a picture of the four of us, since it was such a long-awaited double date!Doug said something that made me laugh and put my arm like that, I promise I don't normally pose like this. =) It's just the only pic I had of Megan and I, so I thought I would include.Doug and I were trying to just get a picture of the two of us, and as you can see Nate snuck in there and surprised me. It was a fun night to say the least.And finally, a Doug/Amy shot to hold onto for years to prove to Doug that I can try to be cool enough to go to a U2 concert. I love you, babe. Thanks for a fun night (albeit loud, smoky and late!). XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment