Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Perfect Summer Day

Today was pristine in terms of the ideal feel for a July summer day. A cool, refreshing start down at 65, not a cloud in the sky, slight breeze and super sunny with a high of 85. I decided since it wasn't super humid and not too hot in the AM the boys and I would have a low key morning here at the house and then walk to a playground they haven't been to in awhile over in Shadyside before running a few "on foot" errands. The boys weren't super impressed with the playground change-up. It was nice, in my opinion, that it was a different walk and then when we arrived no one else was there. Tavin spent all of his time there pushing the stroller. He never even touched the play equipment.Koen ran through the playground, did the swings and then was a little bored, so we decided to use the stopwatch on my phone and we did timed obstacle course races. He was super into that and it was fun to play one-on-one with him a little while Tavin just worked with the stroller. He wasn't really into pictures though, so this is the best I could do... After our errands (and I have to give myself some credit here that I pushed two boys and a stroller packed full of groceries up a huge hill in the hot sun and enjoyed it), Koen and I made quesadillas for lunch. He was really well-behaved through our morning adventure into lunchtime and even for a little while afterwards. Then we had a complete breakdown. He just about drove me over the edge. It's so mind-boggling the way he just won't do what I say or he does the exact opposite or he just acts like he didn't hear it. He actually said to me today while being silly (and I'm losing it, so it's obvious it shouldn't be funny), "oh, sorry, Mommy, my ears weren't turned on." Seriously, where does he come up with this! Well, after him losing it with disobedience and me losing it in Mommydom we made up, asked forgiveness of each other for losing our tempers, had some good prayers and headed to naptime. It is so humbling being a mom of a four year old. Just when you think you have it all figured out you realize that this little one can actually help you see all the little hidden things you really need to work on. And I have a lot! I am deteremined to improve. I want Koen to learn self-control and patience from me, not the opposite (and today I was definitely not a great example!). Well, I could use the prayers of anyone out there.

Ok, so back to our day. Koen didn't sleep long at nap. He must have just been full of energy today. I didn't mind though because he was happy to play in his room. But thankfully an even better thing happened! Doug got home a little early and wanted to go on a run, so I asked him if he wanted to take Koen with him in the jogging stroller and he jumped on it. Yay! And not only that he had the awesome idea of ending the run at the gym where there is an outdoor, family-friendly pool. Tavin and I actually met up with them there after the little guy woke up from his nap. We just had a quick 20 minute swim before heading home for family dinner, but it was a great time as a little family. Koen was again on good behavior, so that was refreshing (even more so than the pool on the hot day). Family dinner went well also (sometimes it can be such a pain!). I put Tavin to bed and then headed out on foot for some errands in the neighborhood while Doug put Koen to bed and they had a nice time together as well. So, all in all, the day ended very well, which is comforting to me and offers hope to put in my 150% effort to make it through tomorrow better with Koen.

No comments:

Post a Comment