Wednesday, September 18, 2013

While Doug's Away, the Family Will...

Well, we've played, had a blast, we've bickered and annoyed, we've survived some trips, falls and boo-boos, gotten along for the most part, had lots of good snuggles and hugs, nearly lost it at times and done pretty well all together I feel.  I'm pretty used to several nights a week (or most of them) handling the boys and dinner/bathtime/bedtime myself, etc.  But there's something about when I know Doug isn't coming home at all that just drains me.  There's a relief in knowing he's here with us, even if it's long after I've headed to bed.  Thankfully we are nearing the end of Doug's time away in NYC (that's like one of our fav cities to be in together, so that also makes it tough!).  Our days have flown by with Koen off at school, Tav at preschool on Tuesday and just running through our daily routines.  Amidst that though we've just tried to take advantage of this gorgeous late summer/early Fall weather.  Here's a quick review through at least what I've captured on camera.

On Monday I subjected Tav and Penn (after dropping K off at school) to a morning full of errands.  I even had Penn skip his morning nap for it.  They were fantastic and we all enjoyed a reward of lunch out at Chick-fil-A after we completed everything on my to-do list.  That being said, I was antsy to spend time outside on Tuesday.  Penn and I picked Tav up at preschool and headed over to Baum Grove, "Digger Park," with a picnic and Tav's diggers.  Just look at that blue sky!
Super happy, adorable Penn Rye!
Busy munching in this shot.
Tav is such a happy camper.  Snacky lunch, outdoor air, gravel and diggers.  A super simple formula for a very happy Tav.
Me and my baby buddy.  Oh how I love this sweet child!
Seriously need to stop snapping, but I just can't help it.  He's too cute!
Tav is still fine with saying "cheese" for the camera.  I love a shot of me and my middle.
On Tuesday night, my plan was to just have the boys play in the backyard as my menu plan included me needing to be at the stove for the 20 minutes leading up to dinnertime.  Thankfully Douglas had prepared some simple envelopes for the boys to open each evening with little gifts/ideas for the boys.  It worked out perfectly because on Tuesday they got magnifying glasses and a note including a scavenger hunt challenge.  The boys were up for the task.
See how they did...




Thanks, Douglas.  That at least kept them busy for about 15 minutes.  You'd have to be there to understand the random (and boundary-creeping) games they came up with after that.  Wrestling, races down the cellar door cover, Simon Says (Bossy Koen style), etc.  The Lord has been so gracious to me in this time that Doug has been away as the boys have been going to bed so well every night (over the summer they really struggled with stifling the silliness).  I've been so relieved to not have to deal with that drama at bedtime.  Anyways on to today...  The little guys and I had a pretty low key morning.  Here's one activity that Tav and Penn enjoyed.  Every time Penn sees this little tiny wagon he remembers being pulled in it and squeals until we do it again.  Tav was up for the task.
After Penn's AM naptime, we took a walk to the library, the bank and Whole Foods and returned home for lunch.  After lunch Tav wanted to take a scooter walk.  I, of course, thought that was a lovely idea (although Penn wasn't super psyched about getting back in a stroller).  Here's the proud scooter man.
Penn rallied and got into the walk.  You can see his smile in its rightful spot.
They both had great naps and Koen came home from school in a good mood as usual (although school takes a toll on him in an exhaustive way he seems unaware of (and yet we get the brunt of), he absolutely loves everything about school so far). Tonight we played with neighbors until dinnertime after naps and then sped through dinner and baths for bedtime.  Man, the days do fly!  I'm so thankful for so many things this week (namely safety and protection, but also strength with the boys and that they've had a very good week all things considered).  One day to go!  And then Friday, oh baby, you better be ready for some major "Daddy On Duty!"

1 comment:

  1. Cool blog today ... loved all the activities, especially the backyard scavenger hunt. Nana is super excited to arriving Saturday, probably between 12:30 and 1.

    ReplyDelete