Sunday, September 29, 2013

Koen's First Grade Open House

Thursday was a typical Melder crazy, busy day.  Koen had school, Tavin had preschool dropoff, I hosted a playgroup at the house and then walked to get Tav from preschool.  The little guys laid down from nap and then I went into cleaning mode for small group that night (not to mention I made soup for small group earlier in the AM too).  Then Koen got home from school and it was the evening after nap...a little play, dinner and then Doug was home.  Doug took over with the little guys and put them to bed.  I took Koen to his school for his 1st Grade Open House.  He was so excited to show his school, classroom and hard work off to me.  I loved the special opportunity to spend some one-on-one time with my biggest.

I had him pose at his desk (after he gave me a full tour of everything in his desk of course).
We looked all around the walls and halls for Koen's artwork and projects.  Here's what we found...

The unit this Fall is "Heroes."  The kids have been having fun developing superhero characters for themselves.  Here's a description of Koen's, a.k.a., Super K!
A picture of Koen in gym class doing sit-ups.  I didn't have the heart to tell him his form is a little off.  Apparently he's really good at them or something?
They had their pictures taken on the first day.  I see pride and a little anxiety in his face.
Some Spanish work and a great example of his coloring skills these days.
They reviewed the Noah's Ark story and did this cool wax and paint art piece.
I think this might be David & Goliath as I know that they have also reviewed that story as part of their "Heroes" unit.  Not quite suer though.  It looks intense!
I loved this one.  It's fun to learn more about your child as they learn more about themselves and the world around them.  Who knew that Koen would pick "playing the guitar" as something he is striving towards.
The 3 Little Pigs and the Big Bad Wolf illustration by Koen.  As you can see, he's into arrows right now.
In addition to visiting his classroom, we also got to check out some updates that had been made to the school in general and then pay a visit to the music/Spanish classroom.  Mrs. Mantos was letting kids play some games on the Smartboard to showcase their Spanish skills.  Koen did quite well and it was fun to see him interact with some students and a teacher as if he was in a class.
Well, Koen, I loved our evening together and it was fun to catch a glimpse of your life at school.  Oh, how I wish I could be a fly on a wall during a school day, but I'll take what I can get.  You are doing a great job acclimating and adjusting to life as a 1st grader, Koen.  Keep up the good work!

PS - When I arrived home I got Koen to bed and then small group arrived.  An hour into small group our friend, Kassi (see next post), arrived and stayed the night.  Yep, full day, but a good one!

1 comment:

  1. lol ... I knew he would pick playing the guitar. I've always known. Nice blog entries ... I especially love the pic of Koen and Tavin with the river and city in the background. I think it's beautiful the way Tavin is holding Koen's hand and his his arm around Koen's waist. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete