Saturday, September 29, 2012

Free Day at The Frick!

So it's "Rad" days in Pittsburgh right now.  Such an awesome stream of events.  Here's the link if you are interested in seeing what's going on that's free the next few weeks.  Such a great opportunity to check out some great things that the city has to offer.
http://radworkshere.org/interior.php?pageID=61

Today we took advantage of the free day at the Frick (the Fort Pitt Museum was also free today, but Frick is closer, so we did that).  I guess much of the Frick Museum is free to visitors all the time, but there were also special "Rad" days freebies and activities.  We had a great time with all 3 boys.  Here's the photo breakdown...  While I fed Penn in the car, the boys went to check everything out.  While doing so, they stopped at the Kite-Making craft area and both created their own.  Tavin was very proud.  He made a pink one because he loves me so much (it said, "I love Mommy" on it).
After I finished feeding Penn, we first went into the Art museum.  I wish we could've taken pictures in there.  It was so cute.  Koen walked around gazing at the different pieces just as an adult would enjoy a gallery.  It was amazing.  Tavin followed Koen's lead and they were so quiet and respectful and didn't touch a thing.  I was so impressed!  Next we headed into the Carriage and Car Museum.  It's in the old Carriage House on the Frick family property.  
Doug was explaining the carriages to the boys...vehicles pulled by horses.
I thought this was funny...Penn in the "carriage" in the "carriage room."  Get it?
Next we went into the automobile room.  Beautiful old cars!  Here's Koen posing by a Chevrolet for Grampa.
I was surprised to find out that Pittsburgh had some auto makers back in the day.  Here's one vehicle made in Butler, PA.
I had to take a picture of this auto's insignia...Penn!  
After that picture I found out you couldn't take pictures in the museum.  Oops!  Sorry!  The boys did great not touching anything, but we didn't push our luck and quickly moved back outside.  Due to it being a "Rad" day, they had lawn games set up and a free popcorn and water station.  The boys had fun learning croquet.  I look forward to when they are a little older and we can actually play this together.  I forgot how much I liked it!
Doug and Penn hung out (well, Penn was literally hanging in the BabyBjorn...ha!) most of our time there.  Penn is always such a trooper.  He munched on the Baby Bjorn and enjoyed all the different things to look at.  And he is oh so cute!
Tavin enjoyed cornhole.  This would be a good game for us to get for our yard, you don't need tons of space, especially for a little guy to have fun with it.  And even better, you can make your own!

After the lawn games and a walk through the greenhouse on site there, we headed to Blue Slide Park a little ways away in the same Frick Park.  The boys love this park.  I took Penn on a short walk and Doug apparently had fun taking pictures of sweet Tavin.
Then Tavin got on the swings...and never got off!  He spent about 30 minutes just going one swing to the next.  He is just in that phase of loving the simple pleasure of the swing.  I was a swinger myself, so I totally understand.
Koen spent his whole time on the big blue slide.  I took a video of him riding down on a plastic crate which really made him sail (usually they use cardboard).  Unfortunately I by mistake deleted the video.  Oops!  On our way out of the park Doug got a quick picture of me and the big boys. 
Such a great morning.  I was so glad that Penn and I tagged along again for a family adventure.  I just love these Fall days enjoying our city and the fresh air and most of all, all 4 of my boys.


No comments:

Post a Comment