Sunday, September 23, 2012

GCC Homecoming 2012, My 10 Year Reunion

Wow.  I can't believe it's been a decade since I was a Grover!  Such a special phase in life that I still look upon so fondly.  The reason we decided to head up to Homecoming this year was because my dear friend, GCC roomie and one of my bridesmaids, Jenny, was going to come out from New Jersey for the festivities.  Unfortunately, the weather forecast was questionable and we were unsure if it was going to work out to take the 3 boys up and stand around in the rain, but thankfully on Saturday morning the rain was supposed to stop mid-morning, about the time of our arrival.  I practically had a nervous breakdown on the way up there as we watched it rain pretty steadily and the clouds were dark and ominous with no signs of breaking.  Thankfully after we arrived and just accepted the fact that we were up there and going to make the most of it, the clouds started to part and after only a little rain shower, we had a beautiful Fall day on campus with our family and friends.  

We got to GCC at 10am so I could feed Penn and Doug took the big boys on a mini hike through the woods to explore.  And then at 11am we attended the parade.  I'm not sure I ever watched it when I was in school and I don't think I've seen it at Homecoming before, but now that we have these kids that love parades (and have attended a good amount here in the city), it was really fun.




Doug was having a blast with the boys and sort of turned back into the alter-ego we so lovingly call, "college Doug."  You can spot him here dancing with Tavin.  

The boys were so excited to see the trolley.  55th and 60th reunion-goers rode in the trolley.  We were pretty impressed at how many turned out.
Doug got a few pictures of Jenny and I amidst the pandamonium at the parade.  Love you, Jenny!  So great to be with you back at GCC.  I wish we had a whole week to hang out together instead of just part of a day, but I'll take what I can get. =)

After the parade was done, we headed to the coffee shop on S. Broad St. (a classic hangout spot back in the day).  Tavin and I got a hot cocoa to share.  He was pretty excited.
It was fun hanging out with Jenny and Scott's daughters.  They are so sweet and were very comfortable hanging out with our boys after such a long time since they'd last seen one another (especially Koen and his buddy - so cute!).
And how's this for an amazing picture of all the kids!  I'm doing my weird squinty eyes, but everyone else looks great, so I had to share it. =)
After the coffee stop we had a nice walk back to the car, to reload the stroller with our picnic gear and then we hiked through the woods to our picnic spot.  The boys did so well with all the walking, going here and there and Koen especially, got so much exercise between his scooter and the walking everywhere.
We took the boys over the famous bridge (where Doug gave me a kiss as an upperclassmen to a freshman and therefore gave me the title of an official Grover).  This bridge also is above where Doug was "creeked" after proposing to me.  This is a Grove City tradition and unfortunately Doug's friends were quite unforgiving creeking him on a very chilly night!  Doug explained the story to the boys and Koen didn't believe it and then while they were down by the creek throwing stones in, two creekings actually happened!  Doug figures they were alumni that had recently been engaged and not current students, but it definitely proved the point to Koen!  Here we are safe and dry on top of the bridge (Penn's in the stroller).
Next we had a little picnic by the creek and then we headed back up to the Quad where there was a great kids/families area.  They had several bounce houses and our boys had a blast there for about an hour.  Everything was free and not too packed that line-waiting was frustrating, so it was a perfect afternoon pasttime.  Tavin loved this bounce house and just went in over and over.
Koen ran all around doing some more "big kid" activities.  And here are the two friends again enjoying their balloons that we got right before we had to head back home.  

We left Grove City a little before 3pm and got home in time for Penn's 4pm feeding.  Yes, I know, he's barely written into this post.  I totally forgot to get a picture of him while we were up there.  He was such a good boy all day.  He just rolled with the punches.  Ate in the car, hung out in the stroller, took his naps in there too.  He was great.  I'm so proud of him (and of Doug and I for totally having it under control as parents of 3 boys!).  So, anyways, when we got home I put Penn in his GCC t-shirt and took a few pictures.  Tough to decide which is best, so I'll just put a bunch in.  He's too cute!






No comments:

Post a Comment