Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Day in the Life

So, today I thought I'd give a play-by-play of a Sunday in the life of Amy Melder, the Pastor's wife, mom of three boys and urban dweller...

1. First of all, to get out the door on a Sunday morning, there's some prior night prep necessary.  Outfit picked out, picnic lunch packed and in fridge, bags near the door with all we need for our morning out.

2. 7am - Feed Penn, shower, prep breakfast, 8am - Wake up big boys & get them dressed, feed them breakfast, inhale a granola bar and by 8:40am head out the door.

3. When getting into the minivan, I notice the driver's side door is a little bit open, then when loading everything in I notice the center console drawer is open and the glove compartment is open.  Look like we forgot to lock the car last night and we had a late-night visitor looking for drug money (cash only apparently as they left a Starbucks and Get Go gift card and didn't find the change).  Gross.

4. Arrive at church a few minutes before 9am and notice the parking lot is packed, so I park in the upper lot.  A longer walk, but on a beautiful morning like this, no problem.

5. At the final steps before entering the church, Tav breaks away from my hand and runs to Daddy.  Unfortunately his clumsy feet struck again and this time he landed on his arm and his cheek.  Just a few scrapes this time, but it was a hard fall and he was very shook up.

6. Wonderful morning at church.  Fed Penn at 10am, promptly afterwards he launched at least 3 powerful spit-ups on my new cute white top.  

7. After chatting with godparents, friends and Daddy, we head back out to the parking lot.  From a distance we see it.  Apparently you get more than a longer walk from the upper lot, you also get a ticket.  A $96 one at that.  Who knew that lot wasn't a part of the one we lease on Sunday mornings?  Ugh!

8. So, turn on the car engine and the "Gah wha-wha me" (God loves me) music (Tavin's current favorite) starts blaring and we are all in a happier place.  Not to mention it's just an amazing day weather-wise, so it's hard to get down.

9. We had playtime and a picnic at Andersen playground at Schenley Park as usual.  The boys played so well together.  Here are some awesome pictures I got during our fun time.


About halfway through our time there Koen announced (in the middle of the playground) that he has to go poops.  So, a trip to the stinky port-a-potty it is!  Unfortunately just as we get to that corner of the playground Koen tripped on a tree root and landed in the dustbowl sandy mess that is the front of the port-a-potty area.  He scraped his knee up pretty well, but thankfully Mommy has Lightning McQueen band-aids in the diaper bag, so we are quickly on the mend.  I decide a change of pace might be nice so I suggest a walk (and because Penn is now screaming because he was awakened from his peaceful rest with Koen's intense scream-crying).  On our little walk in the woods, Tavin trips and yet again falls (that's right 2nd time today, about 100th time this week).  He's again quite shaken up and yes, he also has broken the skin on his knee.  Tavin decides he'd prefer an Elmo band-aid over a Lightning band-aid, so it's a good thing I have those too!

10.  Clearly it's time to head home for afternoon naps (and first the 1pm feeding for Penn).  The afternoon was pretty low key, not so much to sum up.  Feed baby, put Tav to bed, put Koen to bed, put Penn to bed.  By 2:15pm Mommy has some peace and quiet!

11.  At 4pm, I woke up Koen and Penn.  Koen played in his room while I fed Penn.  Then Koen and I worked on his first homework project!  He won't have a lot of homework this year, but this big worksheet is a get-to-know-you piece for him to review with his class.  He was so excited to have homework (a child after my own heart).

12. Time to get Tavin up from his nap.  We played upstairs in the playroom for a little while, but then I had to get all these guys outside again into this amazing weather.  Pre-Penn I would've had us go to a playground or something, but it's so much easier to stay around the house and just go in the backyard, so that's what we did (again).  Tonight I kept the boys busy by having them pick tomatoes and then making up a game involving tennis balls and buckets.  Koen loved it and it was a fun way to work on math skills counting up the points.  It allowed me the hands-free time I needed (Penn was napping in the bouncer under the Bradford tree) to prep their dinner.  Later they came in and had a great meal, then back out for a few more minutes before bathtime.

13. I had Dr. Megan stop by (what would we do without a dear friend as a stop-by pediatrician?) to look at Tavin's stitches...they seemed a little red to me.  Thankfully she thinks they look fine still, so that's a relief.  

14.  Now it's the real challenge of the day - bathtime.  It's a challenge not because of behavioral issues, but because of the sheer creativity and brain power it takes to coordinate three kids.  Penn is awake from his evening nap and is getting hungry for his 7pm feeding.  Tavin is bathing in my bathtub because he can't get his stitches wet and therefore can't bathe with his brother.  Koen is in the boys' bathroom taking a shower.  And me?  Yeah, I'm the crazy woman rushing between the bouncer in the hallway to try and get Penn to take the pacifier rather than scream, then running into Koen's bathroom to shampoo his hair, then to Tavin in the bath in my room to get him cleaned up.  Whew.  That is an intense 15 minutes!  But we make it!  Then I lay Tavin down.  For this, I've moved screaming Penn up to the 3rd floor in the bouncer.  But at this point, Koen is clean and clothed and the "baby whisperer" is happy to help with Penn.  While I'm dressing Tav in his pajamas I hear all sorts of noises, but no crying coming from the playroom.  What's happening?  That's right...Koen is playing the recorder, the harmonica and the xylophone for Penn and Penn is totally at peace watching his biggest brother with wide eyes and a calm heart.  Melt my heart!!  So precious (and hilarious).

15. 7pm.  Tavin is laid down.  Koen and I watch a PBS show (Super Why! is Koen's newest fave) while I feed Penn.  Then I lay Koen down for bed.  Then Penn goes down.  

16.  It's 7:55pm.  My babies are all quiet and asleep and I can eat my dinner in peace.  Blog a little, possibly iron about 10 of Doug's dress shirts, then feed Penn at 10pm and then, finally, I will fall into bed to sleep. 

So, that's a day in my life right now.  And I couldn't be happier.  This, this was my dream as a little girl.  I love my boys, my husband, my home, my city and I'm so thankful to the Lord for this blessed life.  Here's to tomorrow whatever little adventures it may hold...

No comments:

Post a Comment