Monday, September 10, 2012

Welcome Home (to the ER)

Well, we got in to the house at a little before 11pm last night.  Our babysitters, Cookie & Corey, had let us know that Tavin had been battling a cold all weekend and he was having a hard time sleeping this particular night.  When I got home he was up with Cookie, so I went to his room and snuggled him, read to him, sang with him and laid him back down.  He didn't get upset again, but I think it took him awhile to actually fall asleep (I could hear him moving around quite a bit on the monitor).  Anyways, so there you go, rough night for congested, coughing Tav.  This morning he was his sweet self, just with a nasal sound to his voice.  We had one of our fast mornings because we were driving Koen to school and dropping Doug off at a bus stop on the way.  As we were all loading into the car, Tavin came quickly down the front hill and tripped at some point and fell head first into the concrete sidewalk.  He unfortunately hit an uplifted portion of the sidewalk dead on at the top of his forehead.  Immediately I knew it was bad between what I saw out of my peripheral vision, the noise it made and the terrible silent cry.  I ran to him and hugged him, then quickly pulled back to see the damage.  Immediately I pulled him close to me again and put my hand on his head to stop the bleeding.  I just sighed like the wind was taken out of me.  It's so hard to see your perfect, sweet baby have to be in pain and see the blood and a big gash.  Doug immediately sprung into action and decided to take Penn and Koen off to school and let me focus on Tavin.  We are walking distance to the Children's Hospital, so I knew I could easily get him there if I discovered it was necessary once I cleaned him up.  Well, it was pretty obvious it was going to need stitches, but after a quick cleanup (and a mandatory grab of "choo choo," Tav's blanket) we headed to Miss Megan's house for a quick look before continuing on to the ER at Children's.  Tavin sat in the stroller and ate his breakfast of toasted O's and OJ as if nothing was wrong.  We were the only ones there at the ER, so the wait was practically nothing (which was good since I knew I'd need to nurse Penn at 10am, so I was hoping this whole process could be pretty speedy).  Here's my amazing trooper and a closeup of the messy damage.  You can't get a sense for it completely because it's bloody, but you get the idea. =(

After we got in the room, they had Tavin put on a gown so that when they cleaned the wound his clothes wouldn't get all messy or wet.  He thought it was weird and just kept asking to take it off and go back home.  Poor guy.  He didn't cry though and just kept eating breakfast and watched PBS Kids.  When I went to quick get a picture while he was sucking his thumb watching TV, he popped out his thumb and said "cheese."  I felt so bad!  
While the numbing gel settled in before the stitching could happen, we got all cumfy together and watched some Dinosaur Train while snuggled up on the bed.  Sweet moment with my brave bug.
Tavin was amazing!  He was so brave.  Thankfully the numbing gel worked and he didn't have to get a shot to numb the pain which saved us a lot of hurt.  Tavin was very cooperative and just sucked his thumb through the whole cleaning out and stitching up process (he got 3 stitches).  The nurses and doctors were so wonderful.  We've always been impressed and again we are so thankful for this great hospital right around the corner.  God is so good.  He took such great care of Tavin today in so many ways...Doug being home, Miss Megan picking up her phone and seeing Tav, quick and wonderful service at the hospital and then an amazingly brave Tavin Dale.  We made it home a little after 10am to feed Penn and Tavin got to watch Thomas to keep him distracted and resting after the rough night and intense morning.  Thanks for all your prayers today for those of you that knew that we were there.   

No comments:

Post a Comment