Thursday, April 7, 2011

Could It Be Spring?

Winter is holding on desperately this year. Is it afraid it might not come back? Whatever the reason, it seems that it is finally losing its hold. Thank goodness! Today it got into the 60's, but the sun made it feel even warmer. Tavin and I walked Koen to school in the high 40's, just to take full advantage of all the opportunities to get out. I packed up a lunch for the boys during Tav's morning nap and then Tavin and I walked back to the school to pick up Koen and we continued on from there to Osceola Park near our neighborhood for a picnic and outdoor play. It was fantastic! I had to feed Tavin right away because the hungry bug can't wait too long before eating a meal (this kid eats so much and lately is so, so cranky when he's hungry!, but he cheered up and got slap happy during his meal, so cute!).Koen was a little impatient about entertaining himself during that, so he opted to start his lunch too. He also got a sip of my smoothie from Starbucks (treat to myself with a gift card I won last weekend, yum!).
Moments later, I saw another family walk into the park. It was exciting to see that it was actually Koen's schoolmate, Devon. She's this adorable petite little thing with a vocabulary and articulation to match Koen's. I yelled across the playground to Koen, "guess who's here?, It's Devon!" Koen yells back, "oh...my...goodness!" Then Devon yells, "KO-O-O-EN!" Then they ran towards each other in sheer happiness and surprise. Priceless little exchange!

The rest of our time Tavin and I hung out and chatted with some neighborhood mommies while Koen played with Devon. It's so great to be back out seeing old neighbors, getting to know new ones. I met a mom I hadn't seen before today that lives on my street and has a 4 year old and I also caught up with another momma from a few blocks away whom I hadn't seen since the weather got cold. Such an active, family friendly area we are in. Such a blessing and I'm so excited to take advantage of it all again now that the weather is finally breaking!

Watching Koen with Devon was adorable. He stopped in for a snack or drink of water every once in awhile and would just stop and say, "I'm so glad my friend Devon is here." It's such a neat thing to see your child developing in their social skills. These two were so kind to one another the whole time. Koen got a patch on the Kindness Quilt for it when we got home (although we also had a discussion about being friendly to new people too as he was a little bit of a shy snob to a few other kids).

Tavin hung in there like a champ. Since he isn't walking and isn't practiced at outdoor play on your knees, he was a little overwhelmed I think, but he did enjoy some time on the swing and walking while holding onto my hands. Here are some cute pics of him sitting (and trying to eat acorns) towards the end of our time at the playground.
Such a great outing. I'm sure there will be dozens of similar posts as we launch into Spring & Summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment