Sunday, June 17, 2012

Father's Day 2012

As you know, Doug works Sundays, so we did our best to squeeze in a little special Father's Day time with him.  Yesterday was great and Doug loved playing with his new grill.  See here...
Today we decided the best way to shower Doug with some attention was to meet for lunch at Schenley Plaza in Oakland, just a few blocks from church.  The boys and I went to the early service and then played at Anderson Playground at Schenley.  Here are my monkeys...
While we were there, we went on a walk through Tavin's favorite - the echo tunnel.  
Then we got to take a walk through the woods.  At first, Koen was being frustrating and hard to deal with, but then I came up with an idea to draw the alphabet in the sandy walkway as we went and he loved it!  Tavin then was the whiney one as he wanted to go in the city pool we passed so badly (doesn't open until naptime!).  Here are my little alphabet explorers...

On our way back, before entering the tunnel to return to the playground, I noticed a good photo opportunity.  Mom bought me a few maxi prego dresses this Spring and I've been trying to remember to take pictures of them for her to see all the use I'm getting.  This dress is my favorite (even got a compliment on it at the playground today).  Anyways, I saw the graffiti, "you are beautiful," on the side of the tunnel entrance.  Now, I needed a photographer.  Sure, Koen could handle this.  Right?  Well, here are the three attempts.  The best photos he cut out some of the words, but in the only one where he got me and the words Tav poked his head into the picture.  I was proud of him for his patience and that he got some clear shots.  So, here's prego belly at about 38 weeks.


Soon after we got back onto the playground it started to rain.  It still wasn't time to meet Doug, so we headed over to the Carnegie Library Main right across from the Plaza where we were to meet Doug.  We ended up having a great visit there finding some good books and more audio books for Koen.  Around 12:45pm we met Doug for lunch under the huge tent at the Plaza.  Koen couldn't wait to have Doug open his cards.  First we gave him a present that arrived from my sister (so thoughtful!).  It was a book for Doug to read with the boys, "Hugless Douglas."  Thanks, Ab.  He loved it and it was a perfect distraction while I laid out the picnic!
Later on Doug got his handmade finger-paint handprint cards the boys made at church today.  Great ideas!  Tavin was so proud to give him his (the orange one on the left).
Koen also wanted to give him nearly every coloring project he had done in the last few days, and of course, so did Tav.
Last, but not least, was the real card that I ordered.  I liked the way it turned out a lot and so  did Douglas.  
Well, babe, we are so thankful for you.  Of all the change and growth that you've gone through in our almost 11 years of marriage, watching you blossom into an amazing dad is one of my favorites.  Love you, Douglas. XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment