Saturday, June 16, 2012

Daddy Days

Well, it's another low-key weekend at the Melder house.  This week I did much better not putting everything on hold and constantly thinking about the possibility of baby arriving any day, but it's definitely a struggle.  I think the main reason it's hard is because this little one is such a mover and a shaker causing me to feel so many pains and discomforts that my mind is always wondering...is this labor?  But beyond that, my approach to the week worked well and I haven't felt as much pressure to be ready at any moment to go into labor which has made everything more enjoyable.  Doug and I are definitely keeping our schedules more clear and enjoying more free evenings than usual and extra time all together, which is just a blessing indeed.  We did make dinner plans for last night and that turned out to be so refreshing to host a fun couple, have some great adult conversation and do something outside of our little family unit.  We love entertaining, so putting it on hold the last two weeks has been odd!  Anyways, that's an update of our baby-waiting status and approach to everyday life.  Here's what we've been up to with the boys this weekend amidst that mindset...


Yesterday was Doug's day off and he took the boys on a bike ride on the Heritage Trail starting at Washington's Landing biking to Heinz Field and back.  I came along and got to sit in the shade on the island and spend some time with the Lord and enjoying the cool breeze and peaceful location.  Then I got to take a walk and pass them on the trail on their way home.  Doug was happy to have a special adventure with the boys and give me some much needed "just me" time.  Thanks, babe!!  Here's Doug and his boys when they took off.
This is the spot I chose for my quiet time.  Although there was the hum of the bridge traffic and construction across the river, the atmosphere, riverfront view and no kids made it paradise for me!
The adventurers made it all the way to Heinz Field!  Koen did very well on his bike.  He had a major clutsy accident, but thankfully was spared any harm (Doug said he totally biked into an inanimate object).
I had packed a snack of fruit and nuts for the boys, so they took a break in the shade.  Isn't Koen's new closed-mouth smile funny?
And this couldn't be more sweet.  Koen is truly a sweet big brother and the city backdrop is so cool.  Nice work, camera man!
I guess Koen said he was going to take a rest, so Tav said, "me too."  Look how tightly Tav is holding his eyes shut.  He'll do anything to follow his brother!
After we all met back up we headed home for lunch and then it quickly was time for nap.  We all need the break from the sun and activity, but it had been a great morning.  In the evening, I took the boys to the playground while Doug had fun preparing a delicious meal for us to enjoy with our friends later.  I should really start taking pictures of these amazing weekend meals he's been coming up with lately.  Top notch restaurant quality!  I'm so spoiled!  When we got back from the playground we fed the boys dinner and got them to bed.  A full day taking in the outdoors equals sleepy Melder boys!  


Today we woke up with no plan, but turns out it's been another great day together.  Koen's mood has been a little intense lately as his defiance (disrespect, etc.) has been flaring up, but other than that, the moments spent together are a lot of fun.  We had a family breakfast of whole wheat pancakes (my specialty).  Then we got rolling pretty early on to get to Home Depot for a special shopping trip for Doug.  We had a few small project-oriented things to pick up, but we also got to purchase a Father's Day gift for Doug.  A little back story: 10 years ago, we were given a Char-Broil grill from a friend at the church.  At the time it was in pretty good condition.  We had to get one replacement part and we've been getting years of use out of it.  Finally this summer the grate across the top of the burners has given out.  We've been investigating a replacement and not only does the company not make that piece anymore, the closest match that we could find online is practically as much as a new grill.  So, when Doug told me that I figured...it's time for this great cook, hard-working dad to get a new grill.  I think he was amazed at the easy sell I was, but I'm so thankful we could bless him with this new item!  With how much he helps out with cooking using the grill, especially when we entertain, but even as a family, he definitely deserves it!  Not to mention, now that our back deck is all clean and new and our backyard is looking so sweet due to all his detailed projects, I feel it is the perfect way to say thanks!!  So, anyways, the Home Depot trip took awhile.  Tavin and I killed time in the garden department.  Here he is on my phone pretending to talk to Aunt Abbie.
And then I think the Home Depot man felt sorry for us hanging out there so long, so he got chatty and then offered the opportunity for Tavin to stand in the forklift!  Tav was thrilled, but a little bashful.  It was really cute.  
After our purchases had been made, we packed into the car (with the grill and other items, so thankful for the minivan space!) and headed for some playtime at Highland Park.  Again, Doug took over with the boys and I got to take two laps around Highland Park by myself enjoying the last of the coolness of the morning and the excellent breeze that we are having this weekend.  When I met up with them, they were at the fountain and Koen was in it!  I wish I had my camera, but it was back in the van.  Tavin had a huge stick he was using just to stir the water over the edge.  Koen was up to his thighs in the fountain just enjoying the coolness and testing what types of plant and wood float.  Normally I would not allow this fountain-play, but there were about 6 kids in, so maybe it's allowed?  Doug didn't seem to think it was a big deal, so I rolled with it and enjoyed seeing Koen completely happy not complaining and Tavin was of course content as he almost always is.  We eventually had to end the water play due to grumbling tummies and headed home for lunch.  And again, naptime was upon us.  Koen's up helping Doug prep dinner (first use of the grill!) and I will get Tavin at 5pm as usual.  Looking forward to a low key night in the backyard enjoying this weather (and Doug's good cooking!).  

No comments:

Post a Comment