Monday, June 27, 2011

Kidz Gig, Day 1

Northway Oakland's summer day camp for Pre-K through 5th grade started this morning. Koen is attending and I am volunteering, Doug is overseeing and Tavin is in nursery. So, it's a full family affair this year! This is Northway's first time doing Kidz Gig in the city and it's super exciting. We have a ton of volunteers, so there is a lot of energy and backup so that the kids have a super few days. I am volunteering with the nursery schoolers. Well, I should say, I was. I'm going to have to switch out with someone else as Koen was a disaster due to the fact I was involved in his room. It was super frustrating. I think he would've had a much better time if I hadn't been in there. He turns into such a whiney, complainey baby when I'm around. It's sad to me that I bring that out of him. I should've known, but I guess I was too optimistic that it would be fun to be around his age group and watch him enjoy the day. Instead I feel more exhausted than usual and totally discouraged. Oh well. All the other kids seemed to do great and have a super experience on Day 1. Here are a few pictures of Koen (I wish I had pictures of Tavin, he was such a trooper and did so well in nursery all morning and on a few walk-arounds with Daddy).

Morning Activity: Introductions - make your own name tag...Playing in the sandbox after game time. This was possibly his favorite activity. He did like the parachute game until he got stuck under the parachute, lost his sneaker and started screaming...ahhh a smooth day it has been...Craft Time: The kids made a bucket of blessing. Koen really liked this activity as it involved stickers and glue. He loves, loves, loves glue!
Great job to all the volunteers and staff that made this day very dynamic and engaging for the kids. Keep up the good work. Two days of fun to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment