Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Sea Shore at Seaside

Yesterday we went on a day trip leaving the house around 9:30am to drive about 25 minutes to a parking area on a great bike route on 30A. We met my brother there and we all biked into the adorable little beach town of Seaside (where the Truman Show was filmed, and yes, it does look that perfect). The boys love bike-riding. I think this will be a recurring family activity when we get back to the Burgh, such a fun way to get some fresh air and exercise while entertaining the boys (pretty much my ideal combination!). The scenery on the bike ride was really interesting...woods, the ocean, quintessential Florida beach towns and the weather was again low 70's, a perfect breeze and all sun. Ahhh.

After we biked around for awhile we stopped in Seaside to play on the beach. Uncle Phil was able to stay with us for part of the time. My brother and I are definitely close (we are only 22 months apart and were very close growing up) and it is just so much fun to see him getting to know my boys. Tavin is really into digging up sand and then letting it fall where it will. Oh, Tavin. Uncle Phil took advantage of the photo opportunity. =)
Koen and Doug started yet another construction job. I just love that my husband enjoys the beach with my boys as much as I do. It is so great to have such a favorite thing in common with your spouse. We will definitely be back to Destin for more fun in years to come (hopefully annually even!).
Uncle Phil chilling, Tavin digging, Koen and Doug working...just a day at the beach with some of my favorite guys on the planet!

Doug has been hankering for some good BBQ since we got here (I had to talk him out of stopping at about 10 places on our drive down through Alabama, convincing him that no, that would not be a wise use of time on such a long car ride!). He did his research and found a well-rated BBQ spot in Seaside and so he ran up into the little town to get us some and brought it back for a picnic on the beach. Although it's not my favorite food, it was very flavorful. The boys both tried some too.
We knew we shouldn't push it with the bike ride and car ride back to the house before naptime (Tavin skipped his morning nap, so he was getting a little overtired as it was), so we packed up the beach play and headed up for some ice cream. Surprisingly, that was our first time getting ice cream at the beach. Oops! I'll have to make up for lost time. =) Koen loved it. Tavin had a few bites, but wasn't that interested. It kind of made me sad. Did I not eat enough ice cream while pregnant or something? Maybe it was just too cold or he was overtired and not into it. I hope it's not his weird dairy problem. He only had about 4 bites. So, I saddled up and finished the rest. =)

The bike ride and car ride back went very well with these great little vacationers. We got them quickly cleaned up and to nap and they slept hard and long. In the evening we were planning on another little family walk, but instead Doug and Koen helped Uncle Phil & Aunt Leah with yard work. Koen was so sweet about it and really truly wanted to help. Koen has definitely bounced back and is acting much more like himself and is a little less of an emotional roller coaster thankfully.

To finish off yesterday, last night we went out to dinner with Phil & Leah (we put the boys to bed and a friend came over to stay at the house with them). We got to sit outside and it was still so comfortable, not even cool. We enjoyed some great Gulf seafood and I so enjoyed the company with my husband, brother and sister-in-law. I am so thankful for this special vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment