Sunday, July 25, 2010

Debacle Days

Sorry no posts lately. It's been a whirlwind and a mess around here!

This week I was originally planning on being in NH already, so Doug packed his schedule with work stuff. Since we were here it was nice to be a part of some of those things, but it also made for a hectic last few days together. We made it through it all up to Friday night very well, although Doug had some really late nights, which I don't think is super wise leading up to an international 2 week trip. Anyways, on Friday night my phone broke and so that made us both ill at ease as Doug was leaving the country in about 36 hours and I would be going to NH on Tuesday. So, on Saturday, Doug had another work thing from 9am-3pm. He got home a little after 4pm and went right to take care of my phone (he still hadn't packed at this point and would be leaving this morning). After Doug got to the phone place, they sent him home and told him he had to have an appointment and their earliest one was for 7:50pm. Wasted time (my nemesis)!

Finally, Doug started packing around 5pm last night. He went to grab his passport and realized that we had recently stowed it away in a safety deposit box. Yeah, past 5pm on a Saturday...the bank 1-800 number isn't even open at that hour. We called a friend that is high up in the bank organization and he tried to get Doug into the branch, but there was nothing he could do. Doug is so good about dealing about this stuff, but I just felt horrible. I was at the bank about a week ago in our box getting a copy of Tavin's birth certificate. I saw the passports! It never even crossed my mind. We were both so frazzled from being so frustrated for so many reasons the past few days. It was not a fun afternoon/evening.

Thankfully we did get a break when Doug finally had the appointment at the phone store and they were able to just exchange us a new replacement. Yay! Something good! I shouldn't say that, we have so, so much to be thankful for, but in the moment, we definitely needed something positive and that was a good one!

Last night we were able to unwind after Doug accepted the passport issue, transferred his flight to one leaving on Monday instead (after bank opens and he can get the passport) and called the other trip leaders, etc. We had our favorite, pizza date night, and got to bed earlier than we have all week.

So, now, on Sunday, we've been to church together (it was so fun to go with Doug as he usually has responsibilities, but today was able just to sit with me since it was covered because he was supposed to be gone already), he saw the missions trip team off at the airport, he's taking a nap (well, all the Melder boys are right now), and I am about to go to the grocery store. Not to mention Koen has been pretty easy today, which is a huge blessing after the emotional strain of yesterday!

PS - On top of the tense day yesterday I had to get fresh air so I took the boys to the pool by myself around lunchtime. It wasn't a bad idea, but it wasn't easy either. Not easy to feed an infant and keep an eye on a beginner swimmer, but we made it through and Koen had a blast and I felt better for the fresh air and cool water. It's the little things!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment