Saturday, January 26, 2013

Update 1...2...3...

1. KOEN
So, lately, my Koen has been a tough cookie.  He's loud, he's boisterous and he has a lot of energy.  Perhaps the winter is getting to this 5 year old?  ughhh...  But then there's this sweet, sweet side that shows itself every few hours.  A glimpse, a glimmer of the real spirit that is within this all boy kid.  I love my Koen.  He's a special guy.  He's so thoughtful, sensitive and purely sweet, but he's also loud, intense and strong-willed.  We have our tough moments, but we have just as many tender moments.  This morning we had a special moment when he was enjoying a quick storytime with Doug and his brothers.  

I won't go into detail, but this sensitive, thoughtful boy was holding back tears at the smallest thing.  It was eye opening to me that my dear (not so easy at times) Koen probably has a lot of other things his body, mind and spirit are working through than I can even tell.  I so often just think he's being the selfish human we all can be, but I do think there's more than just the raw human nature causing some of his tough behavior these days.  Perhaps he struggles with sharing attention with 2 brothers?  Perhaps he does just need to be outside more and winter is getting to him?  Perhaps something confusing is happening at school?  I was thankful for that raw/vulnerable moment this morning where I felt like through those tear-glazed eyes I saw a bit of Koen's soul bearing its truthful self.  A little boy, figuring out the world, sometimes trying his best to be whatever it is he's supposed to be.  Oh, Koen, I love you.  May God bless you with strength, courage and direction so that you might follow the amazing path He has for you.  

2. TAVIN
Well, a few things for Tavin are going as of late.  Number 1: This kid is quite the Captain Underpants!  Toilet training continues to go so well.  I'm just constantly so thankful and proud of him.  He wears underpants and clothes all day.  Rarely has an accident.  We even go out and he stays dry, waiting until we get home where he's comfortable to go to the bathroom.  He's already staying dry at naptimes.  I believe bedtime will still take a few more weeks or months, but I'm just so thrilled with the quick and steady progress.  Tav, you blow me away!  Number 2: In the last few months, I've been much more aware of Tavin's speech. Comparing it to other kids his age and younger, chatting with friends and family about his progress, etc.  We decided to have him evaluated in case the professionals thought he might need a little therapy.  Our biggest motivation was that Tav has started to get very frustrated and throw mini fits when he is misunderstood (even though he speaks a very special dialect of English for the most part).  We hope to send him to preschool in the Fall and we felt like it was necessary to see if we could help him work on his language skills before that time when it could be really frustrating to him if teachers and peers couldn't understand him.  So, on Friday, I took him to the speech experts at Children's.  He was awesome in the evaluation.  The therapist was so sweet and kind to him and made both Tavin and I feel comfortable.  He eventually came out of his shell and she was able to make a good evaluation of our sweet Tav.  Well, it turns out that yes, Tav does need a little help to get over a few rough patterns in his speech.  They have recommended speech therapy twice a week.  It will probably take a month before we start going to these sessions due to the process at Children's, etc., but we will be pursuing this recommendation.  I'm excited for Tavin because I think he will think it is fun, it'll be great special attention for this unassuming middle child and best of all, he will more quickly learn how to verbalize his feelings and needs.  But I'm also overwhelmed as two sessions a week is quite a commitment as a mom of 3 and trying to fit that all in seems daunting, but things always seem to work out, so I'm trusting it will turn out fine.  Here's Tav enjoying a Pooh train toy he and the therapist built together while conversing on Friday.  Tav loved it!
And here's my big boy just loving his snacky lunch Daddy had waiting for him after we got home (yeah, drove through the snowstorm for an hour and 15 minutes to get back from the appointment in the South Hills...yikes!  But hey, Tav stayed dry in underpants for 3 and 1/2 hours....amazing!).
To be honest, I'm gonna be a little sad to see the Tavin language go, but I'm excited for what lies ahead for this amazing little guy.  "Ta-ta," I love you.  I pray that you are always aware that God created you for a special purpose and that even though you are the younger brother, you can be a strong, confident leader.  May God bless this next adventure of learning, buddy.

3. PENN
Penn is doing quite well despite this annoying cold.  He's messy/congested, but acting a lot like himself again.  He's got a grungy cough, but it doesn't seem to bother him much and doesn't even interrupt his sleep (although it does interrupt mine!).  Yesterday when I had Tavin at the speech therapist evaluation, Doug spent a little time with Penn before his nap.  In classic Daddy-style, Doug had a blast with his cute son and kept me updated via text pictures.  They were playing "famous person" and Penn was pretending he didn't want his picture taken.

Oh, my Penn!  I love you too.  Seriously, my heart is busting with love for these boys.  Penn Rye, I pray you will continue to develop, grow and flourish in this home amidst the decibel level, chaos and intensity that is our life right now.  May God cover your ears when things are too loud, may he extend my energy level so that I have special time with you on top of all that your older brothers require.  I cherish my dozens of snuggles that you give me each day.  I'm so thankful for your sweet loves.

So, that's my 3 boys at a glance right now.  The highs and the lows.  The notable notes from my mind to yours.  Keep us in your prayers.  This mom thing is no easy task and I just long to do a good job raising these boys, praying they know the Savior, serve Him and make a difference for the Kingdom.  That's all that really matters.  Hopefully I'll keep that in mind in all these little things.  Here's to tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment