Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Morning at the Zoo

Today we had plans to meet my friend Deborah and her two kids, Miles and Claire at the zoo. It was very nice to get out of the house before 10am and have a nice long adventure to enjoy with the boys. It was actually the longest trip we've ever had to the zoo. We were there about 3 hours. Here are some highlights...

Yesterday Koen asked me if we would ever see a real dinosaur. I asked him if he meant like at the dinosaur museum where we see their bones? And he clarified, "no, a real dinosaur." Well, I had to explain to him that they aren't around anymore, but that tomorrow at the zoo we would see a "dragon" that is kind of a similar to a huge lizard or a dinosaur. He was thrilled!I was a little nervous he would be bummed by the size or the fact it barely moves, but he was thrilled that he got to see a real dragon, so I was relieved!

I decided to take the wagon as our mode of transport throughout the zoo today. I still haven't decided if it was a good idea or a bad idea. On the one hand it is a lot easier for the boys to get in and out of, but on the other hand, they also really like pulling and pushing it. I think it's worth another try some time to see if it's a good zoo option, I think it worked just as well if not maybe better than the double stroller for practicality purposes. Here's Tavin trying to enjoy a snack in the wagon while also requesting to get out to see the next animal. Let's just say, the wagon and two boys kept me on my toes!The new leopard exhibit is great! He was right up at the glass. Tavin loved checking him out!Koen found a statue of the leopard and spent more time with that than the real thing...go figure. He and Miles are such little buddies. Poor Miles. Koen was a little intense at the beginning of the zoo trip. (When I say "a little intense" that really translates to completely frustrating to the point of tears when he wasn't looking. Let's just say I am now one of those mothers that people look over their shoulder at and wonder what must be wrong that their kid is screaming and out of control). Thankfully he evened out after lunchtime.Here's a picture of all 4 hot, hungry kids at a snack break at the end of the trip. Post Koen's melt-down they really all did a great job together. I love that my kids have little friends like this to do life with. Deborah, I'm so thankful for you to do motherhood with as well!Tavin did a lot of walking and pushing the wagon, so he was quite exhausted towards the end of our time there. Here are he and Claire catching a break in the wagon.All in all, it was a great trip to the zoo. A warm, sunny day outside with my boys is always a good thing and spending that with friends is even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment