Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Catch Up & Keeping It Positive

So, I haven't blogged in a few days. It was a busy weekend with Doug preaching and when that occurs, it also means we do a lot of laying low (no car, no Daddy), so the blog posts can be pretty dull. Not to mention I have been filling all my free moments with preparations for our trip this week. Doug and I are getting away to celebrate our 10th anniversary! San Francisco and Sonoma, here we come! Well, almost...first I have to finish all my work assignments, finish prepping my parents for grandkid duty, a little more shopping and packing of course. And as a distraction to all that, I'm going to first update the blog with a quick synopsis of the last few days...

Sunday we were carless, so we walked to church in Oakland. I never mind the long walk, my main concern was being disgustingly sweaty upon arrival, but we paced ourselves and I forced myself to walk as slowly as possible and I wasn't too gross when we got there. Without meaning to, we bumped into Batman being filmed on Fifth on our way in. I asked Koen if he wanted to stay and watch the movie. After a few minutes of watching the cranes and other equipment move around he said, "when is the movie going to start?"Sunday was a pretty mild day as Doug comes home in the afternoons when he preaches, so it's nice to have a little family time on Doug's busiest work day of the week. That evening we entertained some friends that just moved here, so it was nice to have some adult interesting conversation after a weekend with the little guys.

Yesterday was intense (hence the subject "Keeping It Positive"). I thought about using my precious naptime where I needed to get work stuff done to rant on and on about Koen, but I used my better judgement and stayed productive. Let's just say, it was one of the worst days we've had in awhile. Doug and I have no idea why. Perhaps it was too much anticipation to handle knowing Gramma, Grampa and Aunt Abbie were on their way, maybe the fact we have been indoors a lot more lately is getting to him. Whatever it was, I hope it's passed because it was brutal!

Tavin and I spent some quality time together while brother enjoyed playing by himself in his room (and I enjoyed some peace). Tavin is quite the sneaky little guy. I was doing dishes and next thing I know I hear him rustling around in the raisin box. Koen and I have nicknamed him "the Snatcher" as an endearing term for how he is quite good at picking up odds and ends and sneaking off with them.Tavin also enjoyed playing hide and seek in the pantry (I think he might have just been looking for more yummy things to sneak past me).We managed to get through to lunch time and then I took the boys out to the pool in the backyard for a swim before nap. Again, we just barely managed to get through that time as well. I think Koen knew that I had just had it, so he wasn't going to give me any satisfaction in letting me think he had learned his lesson. Instead he just kept playing with the boundaries of acceptable social conduct. Great. Naptime couldn't come soon enough. And thankfully it did and the little rebel slept great (as did his sweet understudy), so that was a relief, and like I said, I stayed focused and was amazingly productive.

Doug came home in time to play with the boys a little before their dinner. He had some loves with Tavin before brother came up to break up the party.I made the boys a yummy dinner and also prepped dinner for Doug and I to have with my parents and Ab when they arrived later on. Doug was a huge relief and help to me after such a stressful day with Koen. We tag-teamed on discipline through the dinner time and then he took out his cute boys to the Farmer's Market and Trader Joe's to get a few things for the week. Not to mention he and Koen got me a dozen red roses and when Koen gave them to me when they got home he said, "Here are some flowers for you Mommy, I'm sorry I wasn't a good listener today." Can you blame me that I cried?

After Tavin was in bed, the table was set and the food was hot, we all waited on the porch for that greatly anticipated moment...Gramma, Grampa and Aunt Abbie's arrival! Koen was overjoyed when he saw them drive up. He saved the first hug for Aunt Abbie. As we walked to the car he said, "I can't wait to see Aunt Abbie, it's been so long." They have a really sweet relationship and it's so awesome to see that between your son and your sister. What a blessing! Koen gave lots of hugs, kisses and incessant chatter before heading up to bed, "Daddy, I don't want to read any books, I want to go straight to bed so I have lots of energy for Gramma, Grampa and Aunt Abbie tomorrow." Here's to a new day!

No comments:

Post a Comment