Monday, February 28, 2011

An Interesting Monday

Interesting might not be quite the right word, but you'll see what I mean...

So, today Koen had a dentist appointment. This is the only picture I got of him (he was pretending to cut his hair while we were waiting, I don't know why!).
Daddy stayed home a little longer than usual to hang with Tavin. They had fun to say the least. One of Tavin's new favorites is to sit in the window seat, work with toys, watch the weather and the cars going by and chat away. Here's a glimpse.
In this first video, at the beginning it totally sounds like he says, "I did it!"
In the second video, he shows off his sense of humor.

Doug & Tavin also made Koen a brand new train track arrangement.
After we got back home, it was about time for Tavin to go down for his nap. Yesterday I promised that when Tav napped, Koen and I could make a fort under the dining room table. Koen had not forgotten. He was very into the activity piling books, a snack, a pillow, blanket and toys all around him in the cave. He pretended to be a sleeping bear. Very cute! The Mommy bear visited to read a book too.
The rest of our day seemed to be going quite normally until around lunchtime. Koen had a rough start to the day with a mild croup incident. As the day went on Koen got lethargic, tired and lost his appetite. By 11:30am, he was asking to go to sleep. Poor guy. He ended up going to nap by 1:30pm and he fell right asleep (he only wanted to read one book, you know he's not feeling good when that happens!).
This early naptime gave Tavin and I some extra time to hang out and multi-task. Here's Tavin getting into pretty much everything in the kitchen while I kept busy at the countertop level. We also had lots of snuggles too, don't worry.
Doug and I had wondered if the croup would worsen and possibly show its real strength during nap and sure enough it did around 3:45pm. I had to call Doug to come home with the car and take Koen to the hospital for a breathing treatment. Doug and I were honestly relieved that the croup cropped up during the day for once so that we didn't have to run to the hospital in the middle of the night.

Doug was happy to take his little buddy to the hospital and they snuggled for the 45 minutes in the waiting room (where Doug counted 28 sick kids! Poor things!). In the exam room they found that Koen had a fever of almost 103! I had known he had a low grade fever, but I felt so bad to know it was so high. He's such a trooper. A little while later they decided to just give him steroids and not the breathing treatment (I was a little bummed, while we are there we might as well get it all!).
The boys got home at 7pm, so one of our shorter visits to the ER thankfully. We are so, so thankful that we have such an amazing Children's Hospital right at the end of the street literally! I can't imagine the pain it would be to have a croupy kid and live an hour away!

I got to lay Koen down as he was in need of some Mommy time after the adventure of the ER. He was really tired, so we read two books (and I let him suck his thumb) and he snuggled up against me so hard. Very sweet. We had a nice prayer and sweet kisses and he's down and out. I hope he doesn't have another episode of croup cough tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment