Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Since I had my lovely Valentine's surprise over the weekend with 24 hours away with my best friend (Doug) and without the kids, we played Valentine's Day pretty low key. We were expecting some friends (including Delia!) over for lunch though, so we decided to get a little festive in our preparations. Koen was so into the idea and was quite the little helper this morning. First, we set the table and made some decorations. They decor was quite simple since I found I had very little to work with except for some Valentine's colored M&M's Doug had brought home from work yesterday. We did make little votives with them though.
Then we made cookies with the rest of the M&M's (whole wheat of course). Koen was into the cookie making for a little while, but then he decided he wanted to make his own "decoration" for our lunch table. He pulled out a bag of macaroni that I let him play cooking with and he proceeded to decorate the colander full of macaroni with M&M's and cooking twine. He was so excited about it and poured over the task so diligently, it was adorable. He asked if he could put on the dining room table. In an effort to encourage his creative spirit, but also save the cute tablescape from his odd addition, I suggested we use it as a centerpiece on the kitchen counter instead so that the babies wouldn't try and eat the macaroni (thankfully he didn't think about the fact that the babies could just as easily get to the M&M's). I also offered to take a picture of his wonderful work and he loved that idea. So, see for yourself...
After our decorating and cookie-making were over he offered to help me do the dishes. As a neat freak and one that loves to do things right the first time, I'm learning to give up control on such things as dish-doing. He had such a sweet team spirit and servant's heart this morning, it just had to be encouraged! Here he is taking care of business, helping me out...
The cookies were our final piece of our decorating and also the yummy end to our meal with Hilary, Delia and Huxley.
It was a great Valentine's Day lunch with friends. Thanks Koen for helping me pull it off and thanks Hilary, Delia nad Huck for joining us, we love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment