Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pre-Vaca Catch-Up Post

It has been a hectic few days, hence the lack of posts. I figured it was best to do a quick summary post before we head out on vacation (packing up this AM while Koen is at nursery school and then leaving at noon!!).

Saturday - March 17th
After our fun morning as a family, Doug and I had a date planned that evening. We got to go out eat downtown and then see the play, "Freud's Last Session." I had been a little overwhelmed by the intellectual potential of the play, but I ended up absolutely loving it and definitely recommend it to anyone as a thought-provoking and interesting show. While we were out, Megan and Sky stayed with the boys. These are some amazing friends. And they love our boys. They helped them finish up dinner then spent the rest of the wake time in the backyard before getting quite wet at bathtime and putting the boys to bed. Here's Sky helping Tav with his "shoooes" as Tav says it.I guess Tavin was really busy in the backyard, Megan said she was happy she got a quick peek at his face in this photo.Sky did some push-ups with extra resistance. Nothing like a workout and keeping the boys entertained. What a good guy!Koen loved this trick. By the way, isn't it crazy that it's sunny, warm and my kids are in shorts at 6:30pm at night in the middle of March?Needless to say that Doug and I really enjoyed our night out, Sky and Megan enjoyed the boys (although they probably also loved going home to their quiet apartment afterwards). Thanks, friends. We appreciate you so much!

Sunday, March 18th
Sundays are always busy days for us and this past one was no exception. It was the 5th birthday for our church, North Way Oakland, so we had a big celebration in the services. It included that the kids got to open up all sorts of new toys that had been purchased by our community to refresh the nursery and Kidz space. A fun church morning! Tav was a little confused and thought he could take his home. He got over it quickly though because we headed right to a playground to meet some church friends for some playtime and a picnic. This weather continues to hold and we are just eating it up! The boys were pretty exhausted after such a big start to the day, so they napped well. That was helpful because I was busy cleaning and getting ready for an Open House we hosted after the 5pm service that night. Thankfully I had backup. Kayla came over and watched the boys from after naptime until their bedtime. The Open House went very well and I was able to really enjoy the preparation and the time with the folks due to Kayla handling most of the responsibility of the boys. I am just so thankful for our church community and it was exciting to meet some new faces and open our home to them for an evening.

Monday, March 19th -
A preschool day, yay! Koen loves his school and Tav and I love our times together. Monday I really needed it after the busy weekend. This pregnancy has been a little intense on the fatigue/strain side of things. I'm sure it's my fault due to my level of activity, but still, I'm very glad vacation is coming up and hopefully a lot more sitting around by the pool and on the beach resting.

Doug needed the car in the early AM, so Tavin and I walked down to run errands and pick it up at the East Side Center. Doug was getting some work done before a meeting at Starbucks there and we got to see him for a few minutes. Tav was so happy (especially since Doug had scored him some apple juice from the barista).
The rest of the day was pretty normal except for this amazing weather! We keep trying to make the most of it in every way (probably another reason why I'm so exhausted!). The only other picture I snapped on Monday was after Koen's nap I let him hang out with me in the backyard and do a painting project. He's painting a plastic dinosaur. He is really into painting and using a lot of colors these days and I love it! I just wish each dinosaur took 20 minutes and not 3.

Tuesday, March 20th -
I'm so frustrated I don't have pictures for this big day for Koen. It was a rough start for me and I think I was just off my A-game all day a little bit. Again, the pregnancy was just really taking a toll on me. Koen was so sweet and understanding when I broke down about it. He gave me a hug and I think it goes in the top 10 hugs of my life I needed it so badly. After I recovered and we got ourselves together, we headed out for Koen's Kindergarten Assessment! So exciting! He was thrilled to get to see his school and meet his teacher. At the last moment I prepped him that he was going to have this time with the teacher by himself and Tavin and I would wait in the lobby for him. I was really surprised that he did it without complaint and happily. I was dying to be a fly on the wall and did get to peek at him once. I just can't believe my baby is going to school next Fall! He was such a little grown-up sitting at that school desk! After the assessment he said that he thought it was fun. He said they did some drawing, coloring and writing and talked. Well, I guess that's all I get. I'm so proud of you, Koen Douglas!

Now, that wasn't all my big boy accomplished yesterday. After that big deal we drove to Squirrel Hill to our dentist for his 6 month appointment. Koen and Tavin were a little crazy in the waiting room and after what seemed like ages, the dental hygienist came out and called Koen to come back. I was all prepared for it to be a family event as it had been in the past, but the dental hygienist said that at 4 they encourage the kids to come back without parents. Koen looked nervous at first and said no, but with very little prodding he accepted and went with a smile on his face. It was amazing. It's a good thing he did because Tavin all of a sudden got really pale, blotchy and feverish and completely fell into my arms, sucked his thumb and was close to falling asleep throughout the rest of the visit. At one point he was crying on and off and I really thought he was going to throw up or something, but it was clear that all of a sudden I had a sick 2 year old on my hands. My spirits brightened every few moments though (despite how truly pathetic Tavin was) because I could hear Koen chattering the ear off of the hygienist and dentist. They must have gotten such a kick out him! He came out eventually with a report of a great job, no cavities, a new toothbrush and a toy for he and Tavin. I was bursting with pride. What a big morning for Koen!

Tavin, on the other hand, didn't improve on the way home or with the comfort of home and I had to lay him down for a nap a little after noon! Koen was so sweet to his little brother - very concerned. Once we laid him down though, Koen was all excited to have some extra Mommy time and after such a victorious morning for the guy, I was thrilled to just have some one-on-one time. We had lunch together and then worked in the backyard until naptime. Koen cleaned all the backyard toys so that we could pack up most of them for the beach.

Tavin ended up napping until after 4pm for the most part (a few brief wake-ups), Koen didn't nap, but played happily in his room until 4pm when we packed his suitcase (he is so excited about this trip!). Doug got home early so he and Koen could run an errand for the trip and Tavin and I played at the house. Since Tavin's stomach never got upset I gave him Tylenol and it really helped. He bounced back to almost his normal self between naptime and bedtime and had some toast and apple juice for dinner. I can't even describe how relieved I am that it's not a stomach bug! Whatever it is, hopefully it is just a brief thing you have to sleep off or perhaps it's two-year molars? Anyways, I'm just thankful that it doesn't seem to be anything major that will postpone our trip.

Please keep us in your prayers as we drive to Nashville today and then on to Florida tomorrow. We are all very excited for this adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment