Thursday, November 10, 2011

NH in November, Part 1

Yesterday morning (Wednesday), I woke up still feeling like I had been run over by a train. Ugh, I won't bore you with the details, but in the words of Douglas (every time he gets a cold), "this is the worst cold ever!" I had the energy to get up and start my day though knowing that when I would go to sleep that night I would be in NH at my mom and dad's!

Koen went to nursery school as usual (our flight wasn't until 5:15pm). Tavin and I hung out at the house since the ADT guy was arriving to upgrade our security system finally. We did some final packing prep, cleaned up the boys rooms and the playroom and snuggled of course. Then we went and picked up Koen from school. It was an amazing Fall day in the Burgh yesterday, so we played in the yard at the school a little since we were early. Then when I got the boys home we went directly out to the backyard. I even had us all eat a picnic lunch outside to soak up the awesome sunshine and warmth (and a little bit to keep my loud boys out of earshot of the ADT guy).

I got the boys up to nap early since we had to leave around 3pm for the airport. Then I bid farewell to the ADT guy and set to frantically doing the last minute packing to get us all out the door single-handedly. We pulled it off and were on the road (thanks to Mr. Tuff coming and driving us to the airport) by a few minutes after 3pm.

The airport was insanely packed and secruity lines were long, but thankfully we got through in just the right amount of time to get a restroom stop and fill up water bottles before getting to our gate to get into line for family boarding. Here are the boys waiting patiently for our plane to leave (Koen was so excited to fly again!). It seems like Koen is saying, "are you ready for this, Tav?"Oh yeah, he's ready!
Our flying adventure went quite well. Koen literally talked non-stop for the first portion of our flight. He was explaining everything to Tavin (I don't think he realized that Tavin has been flying all Fall while he's been on the ground in the Burgh). As we took off he said, "now don't be afraid, Tavin, I'm right here with you, I'm always with you. Just like God, Tav. That's what the Lord does, He's always with you."

On the way down Koen was singing his own made up version of "This is the Way we Go to Church" but with lyrics like, "this is the way we tilt the plane, tilt the plane, tilt the plane, this is the way we tilt the plane, every single day." Yep, that's right, he made up about 20 versions of that song for the enjoyment of myself, Tav and about the surrounding 20 passengers.

We had a layover in Philly which was about an hour and 45 minutes as our flight was delayed to Manchester. It was bedtime when we arrived so Tavin was really tired and Koen was getting quite wound up, silly and unresponsive to discipline. Great! Thankfully we made it through with me losing my temper only slightly, a stern talking-to in the restroom and then eventually setting Koen up with a little show on my phone to watch with his headphones. Tavin just pleased the crowd with his cute antics of playing with cars and moving around the waiting area. I actually bumped into someone from my high school at the airport. Always a little embarrassing when you see someone you haven't seen in years and you feel like you look travel-worn, your kids are misbehaving and you have laryngitis (i.e. sound like a chain smoker). It was actually a really pleasant reunion and a nice distraction to have some adult conversation. Topped off with him commenting that I look exactly the same as I did in high school which I took as a compliment that at least I haven't aged!

We got to NH at 9:40pm and Grampa was waiting at the gate and Gramma on the other side of security. I felt like I could collapse! On the last flight my ears wouldn't pop due to the congestion and I thought I was going to go insane, literally. Eventually I blew my nose and it was excrutiatingly painful, but totally worth the relief. Grampa completely took over with Koen and I felt my whole body relax. I do have to say that Koen totally rose to the occasion on the second flight and was fantasticly behaved the whole way, it was just that airport layover that had worn my nerves to shreds!

I got the boys to bed (with Grampa's help with Koen) at 10:30pm. I stayed up to inhale a sandwich and chat with mom and dad a little and then I got to bed around 11:30pm. I wasn't able to breathe very well though so didn't sleep well at all. At 4:25am, I woke up to Tavin crying and when I went in to check on him he had vomited! Seriously, this kid (and therefore me too) just can't catch a break! I think it was a combo of the mucus, the travel and the eating late, but I was disgusted and he was so out of it shaking and all covered in the mess. Poor bug! I bathed him, cleaned his bed and laid him back down, started a wash and then sank into bed completely exhausted again at 5am.

Thankfully it doesn't seem to be a stomach bug as Koen and I have had no problems today and Tavin woke up happy and did fine with breakfast. Phew!

Dad got Koen outside soon after breakfast since later in the day it was supposed to rain. He was amazing with him! My parents borrowed a boy's bike from some friends at church and so Koen had some biking adventures with Grampa. Grampa had some things to show him around the property. Then Dad let Koen ride in the Jeep just on their property. Koen was so proud of himself! Tavin and I watched from the window. Here's Tavin posing "cheese" waiting to peek on brother.I think he's spotted him!There's brother! What a big boy riding with Grampa. He was definitely nervous, but Grampa was moving at like 0.25 mph, so there was really nothing to worry about (and he was belted in of course).After awhile (seriously Dad and Koen were outside keeping busy for hours!), Tavin and I ventured outdoors for a little fresh air. Mom borrowed a little push toy for Tav and it was a big hit! Tavin was so sad when we had to go inside because of the rain. Koen and Grampa went to the firehouse before lunch and got a permit for a bonfire. When they got home we had lunch and then they headed out to get the fire going. Koen was so excited to be with Grampa doing all these big boy jobs. Dad, you are such a good sport enjoying his incessant talking and questions and "helpfulness." I hope the more restful morning for me and Tav will make a difference in our health!

The boys are just finnishing up some great naps. Koen slept 2 and 1/2 hours and Tavin is going on 3 and 1/2 (he was ready for a nap by 10am, poor guy). I took a nap too (aren't you proud, Doug?) and I am praying Tav and I will be on the mend very soon!

Look forward to more updates from Gramma & Grampa's in NH. I hope they will be less about illness and more about adventure in the coming posts! Here's a pretty view I snapped while Tavin and I were walking around.

No comments:

Post a Comment