Wednesday, November 30, 2011

It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas!

Yesterday we had no plans and the weather was very rainy in the morning. Koen had been asking for days wondering when we would get to decorate for Christmas. So, I declared that we would decorate and make some Christmas cookies to get things started. It ended up being a really fun morning and a great way to spend a rainy day at home.

Before decorating (I knew we should take things slowly because we had the whole day and if we worked too quickly it would be 10am, we'd be done and bored for the rest of the morning!), we got the batter stirred up for the Christmas cookies. Tavin just longs to be involved in everything we do. It's really sweet (and I kind of feel bad too because some things he just can't do, not to mention his brother occasionally freaks out about him getting involved). Here's Tavin stirring up the dough. Nice form!Koen, quite the pro, did a great job despite the fact as you mix in the flour it gets a lot tougher.After the dough was mixed it needed to be refrigerated, so we went upstairs and I got the boys dressed for the day and we played a little while too (until the boys were pretty much risking their lives to find ways to keep occupied up there, man, boys are intense!!).

So, we headed back downstairs and dove into decorating. Koen was so much fun to work with. We had the Christmas tunes playing, all the decorations out. Tavin kind of just played around us and I gave Koen specific jobs (which most were actually quite helpful). The biggest thing for him was definitely setting up the nativity scene. I told him that this year I thought he was old enough to handle the "big responsibility." He rose to the occasion and loved it! He carefully took each item out of the tissue paper and set it all up.Tavin, of course, tried to get involved. I encouraged him to just park some vehicles around the manger scene (I'm sure Action Chugger and a VW van were there in Bethlehem, right?).The decorating actually took us until almost noon. And at that point we noticed that the clouds were parting and the rain was slowing, so I took the opportunity to get the boys out for some fresh air. It was about 65 degrees and felt great to get outside. Koen rode his bike and Tav pulled or rode in the wagon for about a half hour. Afterwards we had lunch and then dove back into the cookie project. Koen did really well cutting them out and Tavin basically played (poor thing, at this point I think he was a little sick of the not age appropriate activities we had been participating in all morning). We baked the cookies and then I got the boys to nap. Koen took a great one as usual, but Tav's been struggling with sleeping a little since returning from being away last week. He always gets back into the routine eventually, but he's definitely a little off (he's also great at "fake crying" when he wakes up and it gets really obnoxious to listen to!).

The boys and I had a nice dinner, some play time, they took a bath and then we laid Tavin down. Afterwards, Koen and I had some special time decorating the cookies. I decided it would be nicer for us to save that for after Tavin was asleep since the poor thing had watched us work on projects all day. Koen loved that special time, as did I. One on one time is the best!Here's the finished product (a little plate of love for Daddy from us).It was such a fun day getting into the Christmas spirit and my house looks so pretty all decorated for Christmas. This has to be my favorite time of year!! Look for more Christmas activities coming soon! PS - I watched White Christmas for the first time this season last night while ironing way too many of Doug's dress shirts, that won't be the last showing. Love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment