Sunday, November 14, 2010

What a Week!

I have really missed blogging this week! Why the hiatus? Well, there are several reasons...


1. Sick kid
2. Melder Family Getaway with no Wi-Fi (see Stone Harbor post to follow shortly)
3. Sick kid again
4. I'm sick


As one of my "recent" posts reported, Koen had yet another croup episode early in the AM last Monday. Due to that, we made a trip to the ENT on Tuesday for an exam to check and make sure anatomically everything looks normal. This was a terrible experience! I had been told by some friends about the scope that would probably be performed. They said it was uncomfortable, but not painful. Well, you would've thought that the doctor was trying to absolutely torture my poor son. I was a little frustrated because the doctor didn't give me any information regarding the procedure so that I could be prepared or so that I could attempt to prepare and keep Koen calm. Instead they told me to hold him down by holding his forehead against my head and then by holding his arms over his chest. When they came at him with the scope thing, he totally threw a fit. It took someone holding his legs down, the doctor pushing his forehead into my chest and a nurse and myself trying to keep his arms/hands away from his nose. He screamed the entire time. He actually cried out, "Daddy!" That totally broke my heart because he always calls for me, but since I seemed to be inflicting the pain he called for his Dad. I wanted to cry. After all that effort and scarring emotional drama, the doctor couldn't see a thing because of the mucus in his head (due to terrible cold on the way) and all of his movement. So, so frustrating! During the exprience his pants even got torn, so I had to throw them away. It was not a happy time at all. The outcome was that we had to schedule an outpatient surgery appointment so that they can do that scope as well as a few more while he is out cold. That is scheduled for December 20th. Merry Christmas, Koen!


Here's a picture of Koen enjoying himself in the waiting room before the terrible exam. Little did he know what was awaiting him...

The Children's Hospital in Lawrenceville is so amazing. Brand new and so well-designed for entertaining sick kids. Koen really enjoyed the train/carnival interactive display on the 3rd floor. They also have some very cool fish tanks on that floor. Watch out for the nasty ENT scope thing though!

No comments:

Post a Comment