Monday, November 22, 2010

Playground Picnic in Late November!

We have had some balmy November weather here in the Burgh lately. Today we fully took advantage of it. Koen and Doug went out this morning to get our Thanksgiving grocery shopping done and when Tavin woke up from his nap and they got home we headed out with our picnic lunch to Frick Park ("Blue Slide Park") for some playtime. At this playground there is a long and steep cement blue slide that kids slide down on cardboard. Doug actually brought a box for Koen to ride down in. He loved it! Unfortunately, I didn't get the photo opp as I was playing with Tavin on the little playground. He really enjoyed sliding down the baby slide and crawling up a tunnel. After our picnic lunch, I played with Koen for awhile. He was really in an imaginative mood. Part of the playground was his submarine and we went to Antarctica, Australia and Egypt. He provided "traveling music" as he called it. He made up a song that actually rhymed! At each submarine stop, we jumped down the playground and went in search of a key that would take the submarine to the next destination. I was so impressed by his creative little mind. We had a lot of fun. I love that about being a mom, sometimes you get to enjoy with your kids, the pure joy of being a kid.

Koen's imagination play continued onto another part of the playground where he used this "boingy" thing as a spaceship to go to the moon. I got to go on one expedition and he took Daddy on the next one.
Tavin also enjoyed sliding with me (despite the fact the slide was only about as long as me, so it took about a second to get down it).
Of course, Douglas had to make the day extra special with a surprise stop for frozen yogurt on the way home. I can't say that I complained. It was a nice treat and such a great day for it with temps in the upper 60's!
The rest of the day was pretty normal, but I did squeeze in a walk with Tavin after his nap and then I got to take a walk again after Tavin's bedtime with Abbie to run some errands in the neighborhood. Perfect! I love fresh air! I really hope this isn't the last of this mild weather, but if it is, I'll take it. A great day outdoors!

No comments:

Post a Comment