Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Allergic Reaction

Poor Tavin just can't catch a break! Today during lunch he was absolutely loving some whole wheat mac & cheese with chopped spinach (prior to that he had had some baby food and afterwards he chased it all with some baby food apples & apricots). Then, I noticed that his eye was red. When I looked back to give him his next bite, I noticed he had white bumps with red inflammation around them all around his lips. Then he got a few spots on his ear, some on his cheek and then across his nose. He kept rubbing his eye which made that get quite puffy and irritated looking. So, I figured we had an allergic reaction on our hands. I called the nurse line at our pediatrician and she said that based on my description that it could be an allergic reaction to the food, but it also could be a reaction to the amoxycillin that Tavin was on last week (we finished the medicine on Saturday). What's tough to figure out is what was it? All of the food he had at lunch he had had before more than once. He's been exposed to amoxycillin before too. The nurse recommended getting some Benadryl, so I piled the boys in the double stroller and we speed-walked to Rite-Aid. Unfortunately, Koen really needed a nap, so this was really pushing it, but he survived the trip pretty well and I had him laid down by 2:30pm. Tavin took the medicine well thankfully and seemed OK afterwards. I gave him 30 mins. playtime to watch him before nap and now he's sleeping soundly. Hopefully this was a huge fluke. I'm so nervous he's allergic to some major food group that we rely on in our diet and I just don't know what that would be like to deal with. I'm praying it was a one-time problem. I'll keep you posted! Here is the only picture I could grab of Tavin (he moves way too much!) to try and show his allergic reaction, but this was after it had already started subsiding and it is over-exposed. You can see a puff under his right eye and that his eye is red. There are a couple of other splotches. It was much worse during lunch, he looked like I had painted him!

No comments:

Post a Comment