Sunday, August 2, 2015

A Few Days Apart

Doug had to travel to New England this week, so we asked my parents if Koen could fly up with him and they could have him for the few days.  They were happy to help and Koen was thrilled at the plan, so we made a go of it.  So, Doug is away, Koen is at Gramma and Grampa's and I'm here with the younger 3.  I'm excited for Koen to have this memorable, big boy trip on his own at Gramma and Grampa's and I'm excited too for the time to focus on the younger 3 (particularly some much needed Tav time), but we will greatly miss Koen in our daily mix.  He is such a huge help with all the jobs he does around the house, and then there's his giftedness with Jansen.  Here's a picture I took of he and Janse the day before he left.  
Grampa picked Koen up at Logan Airport in Boston on Thursday and had a little surprise field trip for him.  They stopped at the USS Constitution and USS Cassin.  


Back here at home I took the boys to the pool that afternoon (we had spent the morning running errands after dropping Doug and Koen off at the airport), it was so pleasant and special.  It was hot, but shady and breezy in the pool and just perfection.  Wasn't able to grab any pictures though.  The next day, Friday, we had fun in the morning at Troy Hill Spray Park with my friend Bethany and her two boys.  Here's the only picture I got of our active boys amidst our catching up.
After naptime, we headed up the street to a neighbor's for more water play.  Gotta keep cool in this heat!
On Saturday, August 1st, I felt like we needed a day around the house.  Just a day to chill.  We got invited up to a friend's for some pool play in the backyard and we did that around midday, but first the boys played at home and then I gave them a treat of watching a Thomas movie in the morning while I cut Penn's hair.  Pretty cute (don't worry, he's not mad, I'm just blocking his view of Thomas).
That afternoon, I had our pool all set and ready for some play.  Tav and Penn were excited.  It was the first use of our dilapidated, deflated pool.


It was a beautiful afternoon/evening with a great breeze and the boys would jump out of the pool and say they were "freezing" and run around in their towels.  They were pretty cute all green with the greenery in the backdrop, so I attempted a photo, but Penn is in this ridiculous smile phase.   All 3 of these are different versions of what he considers a smile!


Had to represent Jansen in the pictures too.  He was enjoying his rice cereal on the porch while the boys played and then he and I played a bit . And took some pics together of course.

Today we fully enjoyed our Sunday.  Another gorgeous summer day in Pittsburgh.  Eventually hot, but breezy and perfectly comfortable in the shade.  Love it.  We went to 9am service at church so that we could get outside and enjoy the weather.  Aunt Megan and the boys went to 9am too and we all went to "Bach, Beethoven and Brunch" at Mellon Park afterwards.  We had packed picnics and all our gear for the Spray Park down the hill from the park.  The boys ended up having so much fun running around with sticks and playing under the trees in the park that we skipped the Spray Park altgother.  Here's a shot of the boys getting down and dirty.
Jansen was a trooper even though he had a shorter than usual nap at church.  Here's my sweet babe hanging out on the picnic blanket.

Penn had to go to the bathroom a few times while we were there (classic!) and so Aunt Megan got some time with Janse too.  Look at the cute selfie they took while I was on one of my walks to the port-a-potty with Penn!
After our fun at the park, Tavin had more fun in store...he got to go home with Aunt Megan and her boys!!  (Uncle Nate would meet them there, he was on production duty at church all morning).  Nate and Megan are champs, giving Tav this fun afternoon out with friends even though they were expecting friends for dinner (friends Tav knew as well, so even more fun!).  Here are a few videos I got from the afternoon/evening...

While Tavin was having this fun day, Koen was also having his own fun adventures with Gramma and Grampa.  Today they climbed Mt. Kearsarge!  This was a really special outing because it's a mountain that we climbed as kids almost annually with our church family.  I loved that hike.  Not too long, but not boring at all and the top is really satisfying.  You are truly on top of the mountain and have gorgeous views.  Koen seemed impressed when I talked to him about tonight and as you can see from the pictures, he looks quite happy!

He's having quite a visit up there with Gramma and Grampa.  On Friday, they went to the ocean (my ocean!) and on Saturday they had a morning at home and an afternoon at a backyard party at a friend's.  I've been enjoying my daily chats with him on the phone.  He's really enjoyed checking in on me and "the brothers" via phone a time or two a day.  It's sweet to hear his voice.  He's been positive and happy sounding which makes me feel good.  I'm so happy he gets to have this time away at Gramma and Grampa's.  I can't believe he's 8, old enough for such an adventure and going into the 3rd grade.  

Well, that's it for now, I was overdue on my update and it feels good to have it all down.  I'm sure they'll be more from here and there.  But mostly, I can't wait to have us all under one roof again.  I love my family. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment