Friday, August 14, 2015

The Gang

This week we had an impromptu fun morning with neighbor kids.  My friend had asked if her son could hang with us for a few hours and I happily said yes as I love an opportunity to help a neighbor as they are always helping us out I feel!  Plus, Koen loves spending time with this friend, so I knew he'd be happy to have the peer time.  Well, after he came over we were about to head to the playground and a few neighbor girls rode up on their bikes and their mom asked if they could tag along.  Sure?  Why not?  I can handle 7 kids on my own (keep in mind I also nursed Janse while there, so technically had my hands tied).  Thankfully it all went well and the kids entertained one another really well and stuck to my simple rules of staying where I could see them and including everyone.  It was actually really sweet to watch them all hang out and overhear a few of their conversations.  Here's a picture of the biker gang.  
The girls knew that we were headed back to the house for lunch, so they asked if they could run up and grab their lunch and join us.  Sure?  Why not?  Look how happy they all are.  It's so cute!  I share two pictures because in each there are a few kids mid-bite.  Of course that will happen with 6 hungry kids!

The girls went home after lunch and Koen and his buddy played Legos until his mom came to pick him up (and then they offered to have Koen over for a few hours to play...Koen was pretty much having one of his favorite days ever!).  It was a really fun morning and made me so thankful that we are on a street full of families that we can share life with and have our children grow up together.  It also was one of those first times where I realized that as my kids get older, I want our home to be a place where their friends are always welcome. I want the boys to feel comfortable inviting their friends and introducing them to us, so that we can be aware of their relationships and hopefully then be able to better help them navigate them.  It gave me a glimpse of what's to come and I got excited about what's ahead in motherhood and parenting and getting to watch the boys grow, make friends and share life with them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment