Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Big Day for the Little Guys

On Monday (the 12th), both Penn and Tavin had big appointments.  Penn's was first (while Tav was at preschool).  He had a speech evaluation at Children's Hospital with a colleague of Miss Christal's.  First of all, I have to say that it is amazing how different this process is this time around.  When I was going through this for Tav I was so anxious, so afraid of the unknown and what the outcome would be.  This time around the ENT/Speech Pathology part of Children's Hospital is like a comfortable, friend's house full of familiar faces.  I know a lot of the terminology and most importantly have confidence in the the progress that can be made by consistently visiting these halls.  Not to mention that we didn't have to be wait-listed for an evaluation, but were easily fit into the schedule with the promise of room in Miss Christal's schedule for Penn if need be.  Instead of fear, I was excited to see what they would decide about Penn and happy to hear either way if they felt he needed to start therapy at Children's or if they felt he was at an age-appropriate level.  I just have to thank my God for this change in perspective through the amazing victory we saw in Tavin overcoming such large obstacles in his speech through the pairing with Miss Christal, her dedication to his case, his hard work and the ability through medical assistance to even get those sessions for Tav.  So, Penn and I happily walked in to Children's around 10am excited to see Miss Christal after a few week sabbatical and excited at the potential that Penn too might receive the sessions he may need to progress further in his speech.  The speech pathologist who did Penn's eval was fantastic.  Penn was pretty comfortable, especially at the beginning because she had some toys set up.  As he finished playing with those he got quieter and more snuggly with me, but even still we were able to get the eval done so that the therapist could make a diagnosis.  She did indeed recommend we start weekly therapy sessions with Miss Christal to address Penn's speech situation.  I don't have a real description of what it is exactly at this point, mostly due to his age and the need to see how things further develop, but he was at such a level that it was obvious that he could use some assistance in making progress.  I didn't mind at all.  If there is help available, I'd rather have it than not and I would never want to put it off six months or a year out of fear or thinking that maybe it would work out on its own.  So, Penn is due to start with Miss Christal next week.  He will also continue with Early Intervention until age 3, so all in all he will have two therapy sessions per week for Penn.  Good job, Penn Rye.  You've come a long way in the last 8 months with Early Intervention and I look forward to seeing you thrive with more help in this area, plus I know how you are looking forward to getting Miss Christal's attention all to yourself now!  

Now, for Tavin's special Monday appointment...Kindergarten Assessment!!  Tav was so excited to go to Koen's school and get to meet with the principal for his Kindergarten Assessment.  He had about 100 questions on our drive there on Monday afternoon about all the details of what Kindergarten would be like, when he got to start, riding the bus with Koen, full day or half day, how many days a week, etc.  When we arrived at the school and waited briefly for his appointment he was calm, but quiet.  Here he is pausing to look at my camera just long enough to give me eye contact before continuing to check out the school surroundings.
Tav's amazing.  The principal came out and Tav confidently went in to her office.  He didn't look back, he didn't question going without me.  He was ready.  This child amazes me (I would've been so nervous and scared if it was me at 5!).  Unfortunately, I couldn't see their little meeting together for the next 30 minutes, but sitting outside I could occasionally hear him chatting away with the principal.  It was so cute!  When he came out, he was happy and quiet again, but the principal seemed very pleased and was so sweet about how great Tav is (I knew it of course, but love hearing it from others).  She was impressed that he could read some, knew his capital and lower case letters, numbers, etc.  They had fun coloring and chatting about things together.  So, it went very well.  Great job, Tav.  I'm amazed by you.  Such a confident, happy, hard-working boy with sunshine hair.  I love you!  Can't wait to see all that you learn in Kindergarten.  I know you are looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment