Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Bidding Farewell to Friends

So, we've known that this has been coming for months, but it doesn't make it any easier.  As I've mentioned in earlier posts this month, Dr. Megan, Dr. Sky and Marshall are headed to Africa and we are finally at the point where this inevitable parting is actually going to happen.  It's time to really say goodbye now.  This is not easy to do.  Megan has been one of my closest friends the last 4 years.  Just one of those people you get to know and you know that they will be a forever friend of the deepest, dearest kind.  Our kids love Sky and Megan and now feel like Marshall is a brother practically.  Truly, this family is family to us.  We are obviously supportive and excited for them as they embark on this huge adventure as a family and for their careers, but it's just so hard to let them go!  Thankfully, we had the opportunity to spend quite a bit of time with them these last few days before their departure.  Here's a little sum up...

On Saturday, they were in a rush to pack (they ended up having to leave a week earlier than they originally had planned, so as you can imagine, it was a stressful final few days for them!), so we took Marshall for a few hours.  Koen and I took M on an errand run to Target.  It was a blast.  Koen was so sweet with Marshall and a great distraction so I could get my shopping done.  Doesn't Marshall look like he's having fun?  You can see Koen finding the right aisle ahead of us.
As we were gathering the last few items on our list, Koen started getting Marshall to laugh.  It was a show stopper.  (Literally, we had people stopping to listen to Marshall's contagious giggle).
After Target, we returned Marshall to his mom and dad.  Koen was bummed, he was hoping we'd take him back to our place for some more playtime.  It's so precious how Koen loves the babies!  And he really has a gift of gentleness, patience and interest with them.  When we dropped Marshall off, he said, "why can't we just keep Marshall and Megan and Sky can go on their trip?"  How sweet?!?!

Sky and Megan were so sweet to make time in their final days in the Burgh to still join us for Doug's birthday dinner.  I know I shared this photo in the last post, but it does prove they were there (and note that I made sure Megan sat next to me (empty chair next to Doug) so that I could soak up every moment on our final date night out with them!).
I also made sure that the boys and I attended the same church service on Sunday morning.  We were all at the 9am and I was able to worship alongside my dear friends once again.  Doug also had a moment at the end of the service where we as a congregation prayed over this sweet family and asked for blessing on this new season in their lives.  Tear-jerker!  I was a wreck!  But so happy to send them off in unity with other believers and in the power of the Spirit.  They are amazing people and will only continue to spread God's light on the world.

Thankfully, weeks ago a friend and I planned an earlier-than-necessary date for the Bon Voyage Party for the Speakmans.  With the unexpected change of their departure date moving up a week, we only had a few days to spare, so it's a good thing we landed on Monday, January 5th to bid them goodbye with some of their closest friends here in Pittsburgh.  It was quite a party!  About 40 people in our home (if you count the numerous kids).  We were happy to host and give this opportunity for the Speakmans to say goodbye and we always love a chance to bless Megan and Sky as they have been there for us time and time again.  Here's the group photo (Megan's idea...everyone was very accommodating!) from the evening.
We managed to get a few Melder/Speakman photos too despite the hectic evening amidst hosting and keeping track of our kiddos.
Checkout how the boys just love being with Megan and Marshall.  They were very pleased that Megan chose to sit near them to feed Marshall.

Our boys went to bed a little before 8pm, but Marshall (and several other little ones) hung with the adults until about 9pm when the party broke up and Megan and Sky said their final goodbyes and gave their last hugs.  Before Sky & Megan, I had to get a few final snuggles from my buddy, Marshall.  Megan will tell you, he really loves me!  The photos are a little fuzzy because Doug was being funny behind the camera trying to get a smile out of the tired bug!

So precious!  Thankfully I got a few more chances to hang with Marshall and see Megan before they headed out on their flight today.  Last night, the eve of their departure, Megan asked if I was free this morning to have Marshall for a few hours while they finished the last of the packing and clean up before heading to the airport.  I was so happy I was free.  Penn and I loved our morning with Marshall!  I took a lot of pictures, so prepare yourself!
We spent lots of time reading, snuggling and laughing!

Marshall and Penn were both totally up for posing too, so I took full advantage.
Darling!!
Marshall got pretty tired by 11am, he kept coming to me for snuggle breaks.  I was happy to cooperate.  He is such a sweetie and I love how he's comfortable with me.  What a privilege to hang out with this little man!
We headed downstairs for more fun while I made lunch.  These two play like buddies and brothers, it's so adorable.  Marshall loves following Penn.
These two had great appetites after their morning of play.  I had to grab something out of the laundry room and when I came back into the kitchen Penn said, "look, Mommy" and they were holding hands!!  I didn't get a pic of it, but believe me, that cuteness happened.  Oh, and Penn and I taught Marshall how to sign, "more, more." =)
Well, at about noon, Megan arrived to take Marshall and to really, really say her final goodbye.  We kept it short and sweet and relatively tear-free.  But I have to admit after closing the door, I definitely broke down.  It's so hard to say goodbye to such amazing friends who have been family to us here providing favor upon favor, meal upon meal, babysitting upon babysitting, good times, great listening and wonderful memories.  Megan, Sky & Marshall, we've been blessed by the time we've shared with you here in the Burgh.  We send you off with complete support and full expectations to stay in touch, stay close and to see you as often as possible despite the miles between us.  We love all three of you and you will be in our prayers daily.  

No comments:

Post a Comment