Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Lesson 75 of Reading Lessons!

Tavin is doing amazing with his reading lessons!  We have made it to Lesson 75.  We still just do a half lesson at a time so as not to overwhelm.  Leading up to Lesson 75, Tav was reading long stories on his own with the letters in their special symbol system.  I kept saying to myself that I should take a video of it, but then decided to wait until Lesson 75.  Of course, at Lesson 75 they switched the whole plan and Tav is being transitioned to regular letter symbols.  Here's a look at the lesson...(well, Tav snuck into this pic!).
So they are now starting to have him recognize letters by both their name and their sound(s).  Tav is doing amazing telling the difference between it all and he takes such pride in it.  Then they are also having him practice words in the old symbolic letters and then again in the regular way of writing letters.  It's quite a jump and he is working through it quite well, but it's going to be a transition for sure.
Here's the page that takes him through the new way of writing words in prep for the story on the right.  The story is one he read a few days ago, but all in the regular letter symbols.
Basically the old letter symbols he was working with are clues and cues for him as he sounds things out.  Here's a contrast...OLD...
NEW...
So I did video Tav (a series of four videos so it wasn't too huge to load to the blog).  I think he was quite aware of the video.  Also, you'll notice him look to me a lot.  That's because he is thrown off by the new letters at times.  In a few weeks I'll have to show his progress with these new letters because before switching over you wouldn't believe how he could just blow through these stories.  Incredible!  You still get a sense of how much he's learned thus far though.  Segment 1...In this he is frustrated at the beginning.  Often he rushes at the start before he focuses.  Plus, like I mentioned, these new symbols are totally throwing off his confidence (oh how I wish I video'd Lesson 72!)...
Segment 2...this one includes a funny announcement/interruption...
Segment 3...this one includes a yawn (which frequently occurs during reading lesson!)...
Segment 4...
So, again, so wish I had recorded a previous lesson, but Tav really, really has learned so much and I can't wait to show the contrast in a few weeks when he gets to know these symbols better.

Tav, I am so proud of you and I've been so thankful for this opportunity to teach you how to read.  You are getting so close to being able to just pick up a book and read, especially now with the transition to these new letter symbols.  You are doing great!  Keep up the good work!  We are getting so close to the finish line!


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. I love the patience, tenderness, and strength you show when you are guiding him through his lessons. Awesome job, Amy.

    ReplyDelete