Sunday, August 29, 2010

I knew it would happen sometime...please don't last!

So, Koen is definitely a big boy now in that he has finally made the transition to wearing underpants to bed at night even in the last month. I figured with this development we would hear from him earlier in the morning with needing a trip to the bathroom (unfortunately there is no bathroom on his floor and therefore needs adult assistance to get there, ugh, plus he is supposed to be in his room until 8am or so anyways, so this way we make sure he gets back there safely). Anyways, the first few weeks were amazing. No accidents and the kid would wake up at his normal time somewhere between 7:15 and 8am and still hold it until after I would get him up or sometimes he would wait until 9 or 10am!

Well, yesterday morning I went up and he had had his first accident. Oh well. It was a good opportunity to discuss that he can just say, "Mommy, I need to go..."

Now, before continuing the story I have to mention an annoying development. Koen likes to line one side of his bed with library books. The rule is they have to stay up against the wall so that he has room for his body to sleep comfortably and so they won't fall on the floor and wake him up. Well, he just loves to put a few of them on the side at the opening of his bed and many times it wakes him up in the early morning hours when he starts to toss and turn naturally. I thought I had ended this problem by sneaking in his room and removing the ones near the opening and putting them back along the backside. Unfortunately, that doesn't guarantee a fix.

Last night he must have woken up at some point and fixed them again (unbelievable!, he probably wasn't even fully awake!). So this morning at about 5:20am I heard the slam of the books on the floor. 5 minutes later I hear, "Mommy, I have to go..." I ran up to his room and brought him downstairs. Thankfully it was still dark, so I told him it was still nighttime and he had to go back to bed. That worked for another hour (although I'm unsure he went back to sleep). Then at about 6:20am he calls again, so I go again. I brought him back up again. The poor kid thought he had to do #2 and just kept having gas...frustrating for both of us! Then at almost 7am he says it again! This time he realizes it is light out and is hungry, so I let him have some cereal. I told him he had to go back to his room though and I would let him have the light on so he could read. A few minutes ago I had to go up and ask him to stop jumping off of the furniture and yelling so that he wouldn't hurt himself or wake Tavin up. Definitely a much more stressful Sunday morning than I had planned on and Koen is going to be so, so tired later.

Please tell me this is a one-time thing and this is not the look of the next few years' morning routine. One solution is to talk to him about the books again and I will remove all books from his room if needed as I truly think they are a culprit. Another solution could be letting him take himself back and forth to the bathroom, but being that that includes stairs in a sleepy state, that really scares me that he could fall even if we have the hallway well-lit. Oh, please, let this be a one-time thing! We've been so blessed and spoiled by our good, happy sleepers (and Koen just talks to himself for so long). I really can't allow myself to think this is the beginning of the end!

2 comments:

  1. hi... i'm a friend/relative of kyndal's and have seen pics of your little ones on her blog. i suggest putting a little potty in his room. then he won't have to go downstairs alone and you won't have to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Melissa. I've thought about that before. I just am a little afraid of the carpet getting gross if he isn't very accurate with the middle of the night visits to the potty. If this happens another few days in a row though, I think that might be the best option. I'm not comfortable with him going down the stairs in a sleepy state and definitely wake-ups at 5:30am will not be acceptable on a regular basis! Thanks for visiting, Melissa!

    ReplyDelete