Monday, March 11, 2013

PR with PR, Part 3


Well, Penn Rye amazed us yet again.  After his solid afternoon nap (had to wake him up at 5pm!), he was well-rested and his sweet, pleasant self.  I fed him dinner, attempted a "bath" in the shower (he did NOT like it!) and then got him dressed in his classy baby blue rehearsal dinner outfit.  Pretty sweet!  

We were able to walk to the rehearsal dinner and when we got there I unsnapped Penn from his stroller/car seat and he was again the life of the party.  Everyone at this wedding is so gracious, kind and caring.  They are so thoughtful of our needs as the only ones having a baby here and they are so thankful that we even came.  It’s really so kind.  We are being blessed just by being a part of this very special weekend and all the people that are making it that way.  Here's a picture they got of our abbreviated family on Doug's phone.  Not the best quality, but the only pic of all 3 of us this trip, so I had to share.
At about 7:20pm, I decided that Penn should quit while he’s ahead and I went and changed him into his PJ’s, fed him and then returned to quietly snap him back into his stroller/car seat.  I handed him his blanket, shut the top of the stroller and never heard a peep.  AMAZING.  The room was dimly lit which I think helped, but later in the evening when different people were sharing a few words for the couple, the lights went up and people laughed and clapped loudly, etc. and Penn never woke up.  He never even woke up on our walk home.  He did wake up when I unclipped him to transfer him into bed, but once he was settled into the Pack ‘n Play we again never heard a peep.  A few minutes later I glanced over the edge of the crib and he was out cold again.  I was a little nervous that he would wake up in the middle of the night or something, but nope!  He slept in until almost 8am.  Good job, Penn Rye!  Here he is after his morning feeding in his adorable pajamas and big smile.
Here he wanted to show off his full belly.
We had our usual morning routine of little walk/playtime until our breakfast spot opened at 9am.  On this day, I put Penn in an outfit that Koen wore on the Australia trip and Tavin wore around the same age too.  Here's Penn sporting this Melder favorite with a pretty amazing backdrop!


Here's another picture I got of this cute little man that morning.  Melt my heart!
When I get home I'll do a comparison post on all 3 boys in that cute outfit.  I'm dying to see how they compare as it's been awhile since I've looked at old photos to see.  There's just not much time for PC activity with the beautiful ocean calling my name!  Anyways, we had a great morning.  After breakfast, Penn took his nap and we had our separate beach/workout time, then we enjoyed lunch at the pool with Penn.  This kid is truly a little fish!  We keep pushing all the way up to his afternoon nap with the pool fun because he is just so happy and content in our arms or in his little boat.  On our way back up to the room, I snapped some pictures of the view from the front of our room where you can see into the mountains and then the pools down below and out to the bay where the cruise ships come in (direction of Old San Juan). 


Penn had to have an abbreviated afternoon nap due to the fact it was the wedding day and Pastor Doug loves to get to the ceremony site with plenty of time to prepare for the service.  Penn was in denial of this fact though.  Look, he's completely out and covering his eyes with his blanket.  Sorry, buddy, but it's go time!
Penn did very well despite being tired.  He and I got to walk around Old San Juan for a few minutes before I had to feed him prior to the wedding starting.  Here's a view of some of the old architecture at the ruins of the walls and all the flecks in the sky are hundreds of kites being flown.  Very cool spot.

And this is a very old cemetery that amazingly has survived the raging seas.  It's all white stone and just an amazing sight to see in contrast to the blue ocean beyond.  
Penn and I got to the ceremony site at about 4:45pm so that I could feed him before it started at 5pm.  I was all excited because I found a lounge area that was away from the guests where I could nurse Penn.  Unbeknownst to me though it was filled with some hungry mosquitoes.  I got bit 8 times while nursing Penn.  Thankfully they were so excited to be sucking the blood out of my veins they stayed away from Penn's chubby flesh.  Needless to say I got him out of there as quickly as possible and I finished changing him and feeding him his solid food on a bench behind where the ceremony was going on.  Here's a picture of the setup.  Beautiful spot in Old San Juan, it's an old school's courtyard.

And here's the beautiful bride entering!
The ceremony was lovely and everyone was so thankful that it didn't rain (as it often does for a little while in the afternoons here).  Penn was well behaved although a little squawky during his dinner.  He looked dashing again in another classy baby blue get-up!

Even though he was really tired, he was such a sweetie at the reception.  We plopped him in an oversized, deep chair and gave him an indestructible baby book and he literally played with it happily entertaining himself for 25 minutes.  Amazing baby!

A little before 7pm I found a private place to feed him and change him and then we snapped him into his car seat/stroller and he again passed out without a peep.  We stayed at the reception until about 8:30pm and then took a taxi home.  Penn was awake on the journey home and definitely a little confused, but still totally pleasant.  We laid him down in our hotel room at about 9pm and he was asleep in minutes with no crying.  Doug and I all weekend have just been pinching ourselves for this blessing of a wonderful travel baby!  Speaking of traveling, it's now Monday and we are heading home.  So far today we've had a good rest, packed a little, gone to breakfast in front of the ocean and splashed our feet in the ocean and the pool.  Penn's napping now hopefully for a long time as his afternoon nap will be a mess with traveling to the airport, etc.  Here's a quick pic of the relaxed and a little serious Melder men on this beautiful morning (sadly our last) here in San Juan, PR.
Stay tuned for the final update when we are back in the Burgh with the rest of our brood.  Speaking of our brood, I received this cute picture of Koen and Tavin from my Dad yesterday.  
Things are still going well at home.   Mom and Dad, we are so thankful that you are with the big boys while we are away.  Thanks for all you are doing!  Can't wait to get home and relieve you as well as spend some time with you before you head back home.


No comments:

Post a Comment