Saturday, March 16, 2013

Back in the Swing of Things

After all the fun reporting from Puerto Rico I gave myself a little blog break upon our return.  For one, the backdrop of leaf-less trees, gray skies and our same old same old surroundings versus the ocean, pools and bright blue sky would've just been depressing right away.  Secondly, I needed the extra time to catch up on things around here.  Anyways, we are settled back in and I have a few minutes before I have to feed Penn to catch you up.  

So, let's see, what did we do this week.  A lot of the same as usual, but I'll stick to the highlights based on the few pictures I've taken since our return late Monday night.  Tav got a haircut on Thursday (by me) and he looked so sweet and handsome.  Doug and I both think he looks so much older, we think his face has really lengthened/thinned out.  Oh my precious, Tav, don't grow up too fast!
Penn has resumed normal Pittsburgh Melder life quite well.  As usual, he's smiling and content all the live long day.  I love this kid!
Koen had some long days at school this week.  He usually goes full day just two days a week, but this week he had four and next week he is full day all 5 days!  It's just because of the practices and preparations for the school's Spring Production next Friday, so it's temporary, but it's been a fun change of pace for Koen and definitely given me some more time with the little guys and to myself the past few days.  Tavin really misses his big brother though and he was happy to have him around all morning today.  He and Koen made breakfast for us all with Doug.  Omelettes, potatoes and bacon.  Yum!  Tavin was so proud to be part of the process and Koen was great with coming up with little tasks Tavin could do and encouraging him along the way.  

Here's a picture of them before using some DVD tickets this AM.
Well, that's all the pictures I have to share, so I'll spare you all the details of errands run, the library and doctor visit, the school dropoffs, etc.  We have a few non-photo highlights though...

1. Koen has been in amazing spirits and it's been a real gift that has made our return home and back into a busy week so much smoother.  It's also just been so refreshing and encouraging to see the amazing sweet, sensitive and kind side of Koen shine through and bring joy to those around him.  Koen, these moments really make me excited about all that the Lord has in store for you.  You have some amazing gifts!
2. Tavin has been wearing Pull-Ups to bed since we started potty training in mid-January, about 2 months ago.  We've been working on a countdown to wearing real underpants to bed.  He had to keep his Pull-Ups dry 10 days in a row.  He did it and on Wednesday night he got to wear real underpants to bed.  He kept them dry!!!  He's amazing.  He has kept them dry ever night since!  Great job, Tavin!
3. We've finally made some progress in the way of some speech therapy for Tavin.  Pittsburgh Public School's intermediate unit/early intervention evaluated Tavin on Friday and he qualifies for services (free!).  They, by law, have to start the therapy plan within two weeks, so we are excited to finally make some progress.  This program will just be once a week for 30 minutes, but it's one-on-one with a therapist.  As for our private speech therapy approach, I did finally reach Children's Hospital and Tavin is hopefully going to get a call to schedule him on a regular basis for therapy twice a week by mid-April (I'm not holding my breath...you'd think the private sector (the ones who charge tons of money) would have their act together, but no, the public sector is out-pacing them by far in my mind at this point).  I do have to say that although we are aware and confident that Tavin has some phonological issues, he continues to add to his vocabulary, elongate sentences and paragraphs and his inflection is just outstanding.  We just have to work on getting all the information he spews out a little clearer.  I love your language, Tavin, but I can't wait to help you be able to communicate with more people.  You have so much to say, you should be heard!
4. Penn Rye is still working on the top two teeth.  They are out of the gum, but not all the way down yet.  His smile will soon be changing.  I'm going to be sad a little, but I'm sure I'll fall in love with the new look too.
OK, I PROMISE, I WILL NOW STOP.  I LOVE THESE LITTLE GUYS!

No comments:

Post a Comment