Friday, March 7, 2014

Creative in the Kitchen

You know the phrase, "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade"?  Well, today I applied it to raspberries.  We were given 4 containers of pretty over-ripe and half-smooshed raspberries, so I decided to make a fun dessert for our family as well as a family I was already scheduled to make a meal for today anyways.  Let the creative juices flow!  I found this recipe on Pinterest.  I made a few changes to make the bottom part a chocolate cake.  I listed the changes below (which is why I'm even writing this blog post, I want to remember for the next time I bake this treat!).  Here are some pics of the special dessert!  Doug was pretty psyched that I got randomly inspired.  


Here are the changes I made to the recipe...
1. I didn't have self-rising flour and I bake with whole wheat flour, so I used this tip at allrecipes.com and it worked great.
2. This part gets a bit tricky.  Instead of using 1 and 1/2 cups of flour as the cake recipe called for, I used 1 and 1/4 cups and then I used 1/3 cup of cocoa powder.
3. I used raw sugar instead of the sugar it called for.  In the cake recipe, I actually doubled the sugar because I was making it for a dessert and not as a coffee cake and especially with the cocoa powder in there I felt it needed more sweet.  It turned out still just mildly sweet and very chocolatey.
4. I folded about 1/3 cup of smooshed raspberries and 1/4 cup of chocolate chips into the cake batter.
It sounds complicated, but it really wasn't and it was fun daring to try something adventurous and change it up all on my own.  I hope I can recreate it again, it is so good!

No comments:

Post a Comment