Thursday, January 9, 2014

The Silent Surprising Type

Just a quick post about my Tavin Dale.  As a parent, I think every once in awhile (or even sometimes daily) we catch glimpses of what's to come in our children, the possibilities, the capabilities, the potential.  I had one of those moments today with Tav.  I was cleaning up the kitchen and he had asked if he could play piano.  He got out one of my old exercise books and was pretending to play, or so I thought.  But when I peeked around the corner and watched for a minute I noticed that he was actually looking up at the picture of the keyboard marked with the corresponding notes and then he would look down and find the key on our keyboard and play it and then move on to the next.  It was amazing to me as he has had no instruction and I've never even explained how the book is set up to work.  Now, I know this doesn't mean he's a piano prodigy or anything, but I do think it shows just another aspect of his intelligence, his inquisitive, bright mind at work.  Kids are amazing and watching them learn is exciting to say the least. I also have to note that I appreciate Tavin so much.  He's so contended and often even quiet about what he's thinking or working on and then all of the sudden you get to witness one of his new discoveries and it's such a pleasant exciting surprise.  He doesn't boast or bring much attention to himself, he just goes through life figuring things out at his own pace.  I love you, Tav.

1 comment:

  1. Told you so! Tavin has an extraordinary level of intellect. I saw this on Thanksgiving when he so quickly identified puzzle pieces (on a new, 100 piece puzzle), placing them into the puzzle every 15 seconds or so. It was spell-binding for me to watch him work. Time for Tav to have piano lessons? Maybe.

    ReplyDelete