Saturday, January 11, 2014

It's All About the List

So on Tuesday I posted about how I stumbled into making a list to get us through a snow day (well, frigid day) and how Koen LOVED it and the day ended up going great because of it.  Well, we used the same technique on Wednesday for the next cancelled school day and this weekend with Doug working all day today and tomorrow we are utilizing it as well.  It definitely helps Koen to know there's a plan and he loves checking things off the list.  It also helps him be more interested in doing helpful things around the house.  The list is a little annoying to come up with, but I do like the approach as it seems to get us through these long days of being stuck indoors, carless and without Daddy.  The boys have really, really been enjoying cleaning with me.  They especially like it when I give them a duty that takes some skill and includes using a cool tool (this is where I owe a lot to P&G and the invention of the Swiffer).  Koen sweeps up dirt, Tav swiffers dust.  Then Koen gets to mop with the Freedom Mop from Libman (I owe a lot to them too).  Penn has a little broom that he requests every time the boys get working.  Here are pictures that sum up some of their tasks.


Tav wanted to keep busy while Koen was finishing up his mopping, so Tav did some breakfast dishes too.
After that we headed upstairs for a few more chores and some free playtime (i.e. Mommy gets to snuggle and read to Penn a bit too since the big boys occupy one another).  After that I gave the boys a choice between taking a TV break or doing "create" time.  They chose to "create."  I was excited that they would choose that over TV and I was also excited to give them the "challenge" I had come up with for this time.  We didn't do baths last night (I was on my own with boys and got a little lazy and opted for more playtime/reading time instead), so I wanted them to have baths today as we have friends coming over this evening that will complicate bedtime and will drop bathtime again.  So, the challenge for "create" time was...make something that floats and then you can test it in the bath later!  It was a huge hit.  It was pretty hands on for me, which Penn wasn't a fan of, but I loved that the big boys were excited about it.
So after lunch, we did head to bathtimes and both boys were successful in having their creations float.  Here's Koen's...
Oops, here's something else that was in the bath.  This doesn't float.  Oh, Penn Rye, I couldn't resist your sweet face when snapping pics!
And here's Tav's.
After bathtime, I got the little guys to nap and Koen and I headed downstairs for some us time.  We needed some one-on-one time because although the list helps, it was a tough day between Koen and I.  Blatant disobedience on his end at times and on my end, total impatience at times.  We had a good chat about it and made up and continued into our craft.  I thought we'd make place cards for our friends coming over for dinner tonight.  It's a pastor wife friend of mine and her 3 girls coming and we are doing "make your own mini pizzas."  I thought pizza place cards would be appropriate and fun for Koen to cut out and glue.  It worked out great.  Super simple, but a great hands-on activity for him. 

Koen actually surprised me and set the whole table and cleaned up the kitchen for me after the craft.  It was really sweet.  I thanked him and told him how much I appreciated it.  Earlier in the day I told him he was on "thin ice" on maintaining his privileges (not my finest mother moment as it lacked teachable elements or descriptive consequences) and so after his change of heart and his hard work and my thankfulness he said, "I was trying to get on hard ice so I could get my privileges.  I think it worked!"  Oh my goodness, this kid is too much.  So, although this morning I was close to tears at times, the Lord is faithful in teaching me that He can work despite my failings, He can sustain me and bless me with sweet surprises to get me through the day.  Well, that's it for now.  This evening should be fun with friends here to share it with us.  Then tomorrow I covet your prayers for patience, creativity and strength as Doug's gone all day and we are carless in the winter again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment