Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend, Part 2

Happy Memorial Day!  Today we have had a full, fun, family day.  This morning our friends Zach and Allison met us at the house around 9:30am to walk down to Lawrenceville's Memorial Day Parade.  Our walk to get to our preferred spot near the end of the parade route took us through the Allegheny Cemetery.  If the cemetery didn't have all the tombstones, etc. you would think you were walking through a huge city park.  It's green, vibrant and serene.  Look, we even spotted a resting deer!
It was about a half hour walk and then we found a place to squeeze the boys into a good view with plenty of room for us adults behind them.  The boys were all set with their patriotic garb and flags!
Here are a few shots from the parade favorites.  A Pittsburgh classic...bagpipers. 
Another classic Pittsburgh parade site...shriners driving mini cars.  Hilarious!
From a distance Koen spotted something yellow coming down the street...
I was impressed that he recognized the body style from far off.  Then he really wanted me to take a closeup for Grampa, so here it is.  A Corvette, similar to Grampa's.  The boys were super excited!
Ironically, the next phase of the parade brought some military vehicles including Jeeps.  Koen told me to take a picture of this one that looks similar to Grampa's.  These boys are pretty big fans!
The horses were a big hit.  They did special trots and side-steps.  Tavin loved it.
During the parade, Penn took a catnap.  Poor thing was so overtired he managed to fall asleep amidst blanks being fired from muskets and rifles and vehicles honking their horns and revving their engines.  It wasn't a great nap, but at least he got a little sleep.  While he was resting, Tav and I took some pictures (he was hanging back with me for a break from the noise of the Civil War era guns!).  






After the parade, we decided to attempt a family photo in our patriotic get-up.  Here are the best shots.

Koen was being quite the poser after our family photo shoot.  Look at this shot!  His green eyes just pop with the grass in the background (and man, he looks grown up to me!).
I forgot to put Penn's adorable hat on for the family photo, so I had to get just a few more of the cute little guy wearing his Red Sox hat.

Well, after the restful parade watching and photos, we literally hiked back up the hill through lower Lawrenceville and the cemetery.  Phew!  Great exercise day. =)  And that wasn't it, either.  We returned home, I fed Penn and then re-packed our bags and warmed a bean casserole in the oven and headed to a cookout at Megan and Sky's.  The boys did so well.  They didn't even show that they were tired from the big morning (I'm guessing they had to have been?).  Koen and Doug enjoyed a game of bocce ball while Tavin scooted around on the big driveway.
Megan sat down and chatted with Penn and I while he was playing post-lunch.  She even got to interact with him and get a smile out of him (she's babysat him before, so she is more familiar with his petrified cry when I leave).  
I got a shot of Megan and myself because I'm not sure that I have a picture of the two of us even though she's one of my closest friends and I see her at least every week!
Thanks for a great cookout, Megan and Sky.  And thanks for joining us all morning, Allison and Zach.  You definitely got a picture of what it's like to be a Melder!  Loud, fun and active. =)  Happy Memorial Day everyone!

1 comment: