Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Summer Vacation 2012 - NH, Part I

With new baby in tow and doing great with sleeping, eating and growing, we figured we should try for a little Melder family summer vacation before the summer quickly comes to a close.  We are keeping it very safe though vacationing at Gramma and Grampa's in NH.  We aren't crazy enough to think that with a newborn and two other busy boys we would really be able to relax if we went off somewhere by ourselves.  Not to mention, Gramma and Grampa's is quite a fabulous attraction for these little guys.  Lots of love, several fun vehicles, a huge yard and woods to play in, a beach within in an hour's drive and the lakes region within an hour's reach as well.  It looks like it's going to be a great getaway.  Here's what's happened so far...

Monday
We spent most of the day in the Burgh packing up and running a few last errands.  Then a little before 4pm we drove away with 3 boys, a Mommy, a Daddy (in a minivan mind you) and lots of gear.  We are the real deal...all grown up!  Doug and Koen drove Tavin, Penn and I to the airport.  Tavin hasn't been on an airplane since last Fall, so he was very excited.  Since Penn is only just 8 weeks today, obviously he has never flown.  Doug and Koen got us through ticketing and then I did security and the flights on my own (Doug and Koen are driving up, meeting us on Tuesday (it's way too expensive to buy 4 tickets and way too early to take Penn on that long of a drive with all the stops that would be required!)).  I had to add that part because I'm actually pleased with myself.  I have flown with two kids before, but never two kids with one of them being so teeny, tiny and requiring constant hands-on attention.  I've had to nurse a child in an airport before, but never while also entertaining the other one.  Yep, that's right.  I'm not a person who is comfortable nursing in public, so nursing in an airport under a tight time constraint is always a not so fun challenge.  Yesterday takes the cake though.  First I nursed Penn in a family restroom that did not include anywhere to sit.  Tav sat in the stroller and I sat on the floor (which I managed to do without touching any skin to the floor or wall).  Thankfully it was a seemingly sparkly clean restroom.  On the unfortunate side of things though, Penn wasn't done after that feeding session and I had to stop at a smaller, no AC, smelly (and dirty to match) family restroom near our gate.  At this point Tavin wasn't interested in sitting in the stroller, so I made him stand in the corner to keep away from all things gross, constantly reminding him to keep his hands out of his mouth.  To keep him occupied (remember I'm nursing a newborn during this, so we are pretty much the most hilarious and awkward thing that's happened in this family restroom in awhile I'm sure) we sang "Jesus Loves Me" and "The B-I-B-L-E" over and over again.  Tavin gets an even bigger award than I get for being content with this debacle as what he saw as a fun activity with Mommy.  Ok, so I'm done with the ode to myself and now need to give praise to my two great travelers.  They were fantastic.  Penn didn't even barely cry even though both flights were during his fussiest time of day.  Tavin was a champ and loved every minute of the adventure.  Grampa was waiting for us when we arrived and we got home as quickly as possible to yet again feed Penn and get Tavin to bed.  And on that note, big news here...Tavin slept in a big boy bed for the first time!  He did great.  It helped that he was beyond-belief exhausted as he didn't get to rest his weary head until 11pm.  So, let's review all the firsts we accomplished yesterday...
1. First family of 5 vacation begins.  
2. First train (commuter one at airport) and airplane rides for Penn.
3. First time I nurse and sing "Jesus Loves Me" to a 2 year old (this isn't really worth recording) while standing in a smelly bathroom at an airport.
4. First big boy bed sleep for Tavin!

Tuesday
The boys slept great as did I after our adventurous airplane rides last night.  It's great to be here at Gramma and Grampa's.  I feel so relaxed already.  Tavin hit the ground running and played with toys all to himself for the first few hours.  By mid-morning he was raring to go on a Jeep ride (his first!) and Grampa was happy to concede.  


Don't worry, Tavin actually rode on my lap and we go about 5 mph within yards of my parents' house.  He loved it (which is hard to tell from this picture, he just got caught at a funny moment).
Mom came out with Penn at the perfect photo opportunity time, so Penn got a picture in the Jeep too (don't worry, he didn't join us for the ride).
Tavin loved the Jeep ride and was immediately asking for more.  So, I'm sure you will be seeing more Jeep pictures in the coming days.  After the Jeep fun, Grampa and Tavin played outside for awhile.  They were pretty cute.  Playing airplane in the grass, relaxing in their lounge chairs and playing with more trucks and things. 



It's been a great start.  Look forward to more posts from the Granite State!


No comments:

Post a Comment